PDA

View Full Version : uploading cs4 files on 5.5 on new pc

jjs11
06-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi

I have recently installed cs5.5 on a new pc.

On my old pc, files were in cs4.

I then transfered dreamweaver files on my old pc, to my new pc.

Problem: files on the new pc will not upload. I can still alter files and create new files but only from the original pc using cs4, not using the new pc using sc5.5.

What I want to do is alter and create files on cs5.5 on my new files but I can't work out why???? Any help much appreciated.

Please note I only have beginners know how so please be patient if I ask stupid questions.

DWcourse
06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Did you recreate or transfer your site definitions?

jjs11
06-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Sorry if this is obvious but what are site definitions??? I don't know what a site definition is so probably not!

DWcourse
06-11-2011, 06:52 PM
They are what tells Dreamweaver where you are storing the files on your local computer and how to connect to your server. Without them you'll find that:

1. you won't be able to upload your site from Dreamweaver
2. If you use another program to upload your files, links within them will probably be broken.

There's a tutorial on defining your site at http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/define-your-site.php

Unfortunately it's for CS4 and earlier. The concepts are the same in CS5.5 but the interface has changed.

If you go to menu: Site>Manage Sites…, in the dialog there are buttons for exporting and importing site definitions (as .ste files). You should be able to export your definitions from CS4 and then use the .ste file to import them into CS5.5.