View Full Version : Background slide show

06-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone,

My customer wants me to redesign his website as HTML. The current website, which I did, was created 100% in Flash. http://www.gussbbq.com So there's a lot of slide shows. The reason he wants to do it as HTML, is because everybody can view it in whatever device they want; desktop computer, iPhone, Blackberry, iPad, etc. He wants the slide shows to stay but since he doesn't want Flash, my question is, can I create background slide shows in HTML? I need to put content in front of these slide shows. That's why they need to be in the background. I'm not that familiar with advance HTML coding. I work a lot with tables and simple CSS. Everything I know, I learned it on my own. The best way for me to learn is with basic examples. I don't know if there's anybody out there who is willing to guide me in the right direction with viewable examples and code that could be easily customized. Thank you

06-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Link please, so we can give a correct answer.

And welcome to the forum solivan! 8)

06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Done, thanks

06-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Ah, I see :)

You'd have to go a little further than table based layouts and DW I think, if that's event the design they want to stay with. Accessibility/Usability should trump design elements like that most of the time.

This is a good opportunity to learn a JavaScript framework like jQuery, so you can benefit from existing plugins

06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
That background slideshow is possible with HTML & CSS for positioning and JavaScript for the effect. Actually all the effects could be done with JavaScript and in particular the JavaScript library jQuery (http://jquery.com/).
Have a look at the tutorials from this blog what you all can do with jQuery.

Anyways.... this would be all nice and well for desktops, but serving the same website content for the different mobile devices and their different screen resolutions is going to be a tough one... or actually impossible if you're used to build layouts with tables (where they're not for intend) and simple CSS.

So a good start for you would be to learn building website layouts with div's and css and if you have a good grasp of that, then you can start thinking of learning to build websites for mobile devices.

06-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank you I'll check that out.