PDA

View Full Version : Viewing Source and copying to my own page.

step1984
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to find out if this is really ok.

I am making a website for my portfolio and the only templates I like are ones that are not free. I don't know if it is against the law or just very unethical to view the source and paste it into dreamweaver to edit it.

Again, this template that I like is not free and it has some effects that I like. Would those effects still be there when I paste the source?

Any thoughts and help would be great. I am new to this and just trying to figure out the best and easiest way to have a professional site for my portfolio.

Thank you

domedia
06-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Again, this template that I like is not free and it has some effects that I like. Would those effects still be there when I paste the source?
No, they will not be there. The source will only show you the HTML of the page in your browser.

What kind of portfolio?

Corrosive
06-02-2011, 06:52 PM
...and just trying to figure out the best and easiest way to have a professional site for my portfolio.

Hire someone perhaps?

DWcourse
06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Hire someone perhaps?

:-D

I'd say it's unethical but probably only the images and any custom scripting (not the HTML and CSS) would actually be copyrightable. But, if you're considering going this route I would ask two questions:

1. Do you have the skills to customize and existing design? If so, then you should be able to build the pages yourself.

2. Once your portfolio is up, how would you feel about someone copying and pasting your images into their work? And how is that less ethical that what you're proposing?