PDA

View Full Version : Messed Up My Site Big Time

Xebekn
06-02-2011, 03:19 AM
First of all, I'm new so hello to everyone. If this isn't in the right forum, feel free to move it. I'm trying to meet a deadline and I don't think I have time to read the forum rules so I apologize in advance.

My issue: I'm very, very new to DW. I have CS5 if that helps. I was getting frustrated with a font change so I just highlighted my text in code view and did a CSS Edit Style Sheet on the selected text, not on a style sheet at all. I switched it from the default size to 36 pixels. HUGE mistake. The text on my whole site went huge. So I immediately closed out my page I made the mistake on without saving (didn't know about the history panel yet) but then I made the biggest mistake of all, I saved the style changes. Yes, I really screwed this up.

Well, after realizing my mistake, I opened the html document back up, highlighted the text and deleted the pixel size rule on it hoping it would go back to normal and it did...in Dreamweaver. When I opened it up in my browser though, it's all still huge. So big, in fact, that I have one words only on each line and it extends my page indefinitely long.

I really messed up big and I need some help. I'll be refreshing this thread constantly for help as I am on a deadline (3 hours from now). Any help would be greatly and wonderfully appreciated.

johnMoss
06-02-2011, 03:43 AM
Refresh your browser, your probably looking at your previously cached page.

Xebekn1
06-02-2011, 03:55 AM
I did, still that way. Thanks for the speedy reply. Any other ideas?

johnMoss
06-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Sorry, I had to step away... lemme look...

johnMoss
06-02-2011, 04:02 AM
What's the link to your site?

Xebekn1
06-02-2011, 04:04 AM
I didn't make it live. I'm just viewing the html through my browser off my computer. I can upload it if that would help.

Is there any way to go back and remove recent changes? I guess it wouldn't be in my style sheet, although I did edit a rule? What happens when you edit a rule but no tag is selected? I just had text within a <p> tag selected.

johnMoss
06-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Yeah if you can post it, that'd make things easier. As far as removing recent changes, if you can't control z your way back, just delete offending edits and start over. In the absence of commands to the contrary, the browser (and dreamweaver) will step in and provide assumed renderings, and you just go in and modify to your heart's content with css. Definitely stick to a style sheet to keep things organized. Loading CSS onto a single page will trip you up bad if you're new to it...

Xebekn1
06-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Somehow I just fixed it be highlighting the same text again, bumping it down to 16 pixel and saving the styles. It rendered the text back to the same size (16 pixel apparently) that it was before. Super weird. Crisis averted and thank you for your help.

Also, I got banned after posting with my normal forum handle, "Xebekn". I imagine I broke a rule somewhere along the line. If the forum moderator could PM me or post the reason on here I'll be sure to avoid it in the future. I apologize in advance.

domedia
06-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Xebekn is not banned, I just removed the double post.