PDA

View Full Version : I hate using a template

nwcountry
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
can I just delete it and at some point in time build one if my site even "goes anyplace"?? I don't know but with all that goes with the use of a template, and my content being so limited, I want to just make my pages unique as I go.

What say you guys about that? Is it possible to delete the template, wipe it out, from the face of the Earth and carry on with my dang site:( I hate sitebuilders and having to do things their way and templates, how I hate templates, you can't edit them the way you want, wahhhhhhhh! Somebody call the waaaaaaaaaahhhh'mbulance:(

DWcourse
06-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Templates aren't really complicated if you take the time to learn how they work but there is no requirement to use a template. Just remember, every time you add a page you'll have to update the navigation on all your pages. Also be sure to detach the pages you based upon the template (menu: Modify>Templates>Detach From Template)

johnMoss
06-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Tell you what Denise, if you like, go into user profiles, find my email, zip up your root directory and send it to me. I'll clean it up, get rid of the template, and send it back. And thy shall have separate pages & a clean slate to play with...
On condition :) Spend a couple hours reviewing basic HTML between now & the time you get it back.

nwcountry
06-01-2011, 12:59 AM
You are a good guy JohnMoss but I just made a decision to go with a wordpress sitebuilder thingy, LOL, very technical. I just want to get something up and put my photography on there. I'm at hostgator and they seem to have some things, like wordpress for beginners like me;)

I so appreciate your willingness to help me.

denise:)

Tell you what Denise, if you like, go into user profiles, find my email, zip up your root directory and send it to me. I'll clean it up, get rid of the template, and send it back. And thy shall have separate pages & a clean slate to play with...
On condition :) Spend a couple hours reviewing basic HTML between now & the time you get it back.

johnMoss
06-01-2011, 01:10 AM
hmm... I dunno 'bout that. With your own pages you would be free of the hindrences of Wordpress. For someone new it is by no means a simple editor. Might rethink that one, but no harm in playing with it a bit. It's still good to have a basic knowledge of it. My offer stands though, about the time you've thrown your hands in the air, I'll be finished...8)

nwcountry
06-01-2011, 01:14 AM
You are a sweetie but I gotta figure this out myself. I still want to look at that code for extracuricular reading fun, LOL!! And where is the article I can start with;)??

hmm... I dunno 'bout that. With your own pages you would be free of the hindrences of Wordpress. For someone new it is by no means a simple editor. Might rethink that one, but no harm in playing with it a bit. It's still good to have a basic knowledge of it. My offer stands though, about the time you've thrown your hands in the air, I'll be finished...8)

johnMoss
06-01-2011, 01:19 AM
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

and also Jim's course...

nwcountry
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi JohnMoss:) I wanted you to know I am back and ready to tackle DW again, LOL! I can't stand those programs like Joomla and Drupal, geesh. So I am following step by step, thesitewizard. He seems very clear and correct on instruction. If you know any cons to following him, let me know. It is basic and that is all I need right now. I like to get in there and try to change some things he doesn't teach about but if I can just get the basic site, then I can decorate, LOL! See you later as I know I will have questions along the way and you can't ask him, or, at least, I can't ever get through to him email. ty again, Denise

johnMoss
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
O-Tay... We're here...:)

nwcountry
06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
LOL:) ty JohnMoss, I knew you would be:lol:

ragortue
09-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Templates are more like a trial and error. I myself had a hard time setting one up. Just give it time and you'll be able to feel comfortable with it. https://imagicon.info/cat/6-4/1.gif