PDA

View Full Version : Learning javascript?

tony09uk
05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
I was thinking about creating a simple browser based game and instantly assumed that I should learn JavaScript to do this, I also thought it would be handy for such things as image rotators etc... But then I glanced at an article in a magazine which said JavaScript is becoming obsolete and HTML5 is taking its place. Can HTML5 do the two things I have mentioned. I have had a look around and can't find anything regarding making games (I realize thats probably for a different forum). I'm also concerned about display issues in older browser's.

Should I go to the effort of learning JavaScript?

m1a2x3x7
06-01-2011, 06:27 PM
The article you read is completely wrong. In fact the HTML5 Canvas element uses JavaScript to create graphics and animation.

HTML5 and JavaScript pretty much go hand in hand. If you want to do online browser based gaming then yes you most definitely should learn JavaScript.

Check out this site: http://html5games.com/ you could not build these games with out JavaScript.

domedia
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Can you show us the article?

It's like saying fishing poles will be obsolete because of more advanced bicycles ;-)

tony09uk
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
It didn't seem right, but I know so little about this area I though id ask. I have had a look around for the article and can't find it, the amount articles/books I am reading to learn more is stupid. Alternatively another option is i mis-read the article. Still either you have cleared it up thanks.