PDA

View Full Version : Creating a link to toggle full screen

benjamin308
05-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Can anyone recommend a way to have a toggle for full screen (looses all browser bars)?

Any help very much appreciated.

Corrosive
05-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Do you want to toggle the page visitors are on or open a new, full screen window?

benjamin308
05-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Do you want to toggle the page visitors are on or open a new, full screen window?

Hi Corrosive, thanks for your reply. Yes, toggle the page the visitors are on. Basically just an option in the corner of the screen saying 'full screen' for example.

Corrosive
05-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi Corrosive, thanks for your reply. Yes, toggle the page the visitors are on. Basically just an option in the corner of the screen saying 'full screen' for example.

Hmmm... Not sure then. Opening a new window would be fairly easy but never done it with the current window. Do you know of any sites that do this that maybe we could investigate how it is done?

benjamin308
05-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Hmmm... Not sure then. Opening a new window would be fairly easy but never done it with the current window. Do you know of any sites that do this that maybe we could investigate how it is done?

Thanks for your reply. There's the option on this site:
http://tinyurl.com/3gdza6c

(it's a flash site but resizes in the same window)

Any ideas?
Thanks

Corrosive
05-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I think that is done with flash. Can't see the link within the HTML. Got another example or are you planning on using flash anyway?

benjamin308
05-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I think that is done with flash. Can't see the link within the HTML. Got another example or are you planning on using flash anyway?

Interesting. All the examples I have are flash sites. I don't know how flash can communicate to a browser differently to an HTML site. Any ideas?

Corrosive
05-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Nope sorry, flash is not my strong point.

benjamin308
05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Nope sorry, flash is not my strong point.

I have no intention of using flash. There must be a way to do this sans-flash. I shall investigate.

DWcourse
05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Why would you want to do this with an html page? Flash can resize the content of the page to adapt to the screen size but with html you'll just get the same size fonts and images in a larger window.

benjamin308
05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Why would you want to do this with an html page? Flash can resize the content of the page to adapt to the screen size but with html you'll just get the same size fonts and images in a larger window.

It's not my idea. The client loves the clean look without all of the browser furniture. I kinda see what he means. Here's another example:
http://www.diveraguilar.com/

benjamin308
06-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Hi DW course. Thanks for your reply. It's the clients idea. It's a stylish website and they believe that removing all elements not pertaining to the site is the best way to 'present' the site. Much like on this website here: http://tinyurl.com/3gdza6c

If it can't be done then it can't be done though I find it odd that flash seems somehow capable of telling the browser what to do and a non-flash site isn't able to.

I am investigating.

Corrosive
06-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I think this is because Flash is delivered through the flash player plug-in and not in the conventional way a website would be. Flash uses the PC video card capabilities and actionscript to deliver full screen and there is no alternative that I know of in plain vanilla HTML. You can fill the browser window with video but not remove the furniture.

DWcourse
06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Corrosive is right. Flash, through the Flash Player plugin, has access to features that html pages running in the browser don't.