PDA

View Full Version : Moving files

ngeverett
05-28-2011, 12:51 PM
hello all,
please bear with me as i'm a dreamweaver virgin, but have to design a website for uni.
basically i've finalised everything but i obviously wasn't concentrating in some parts and have saved a few image files in the root folder as apposed to the image folder.
http://oi52.tinypic.com/2ypjbm9.jpg

just wondering how i can transfer these to the image folder and automatically update the links in dreamweaver? when i move them in there, the images disapear in dreamweaver. i've tried various online tutorials about automatically updating links but i just cant get it to work.
i don't want to have to create new divs and place them again cos they have to be in a very exact position.
thanks!

ps. im using cs5

johnMoss
05-28-2011, 02:13 PM
1) Save your page as is.
2) Go into your files (outside of dreamweaver) and drag (move) your images into the the images folder.
3) In dreamweaver, click on your requisite page or pages and one by one click on 'save as' and rename them. For example change 'myHomePage' to 'myHomepage1'.
4) A dialog box will pop-up asking if you would like to update links, answer yes.
5) Now hit 'save as' again, and rename them to their original. Dreamweaver will respond if you would like to overwrite existing file, answer yes.
6) Delete all the '1' pages you created...

ngeverett
05-28-2011, 02:38 PM
hiya,
thanks for your quick reply. i've followed these steps exactly but when i save as and rename them there isn't a dialog box? it just creates a new file with the broken links. any ideas?

gentleone
05-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Did you define your site in Dreamweaver? If you did it should ask you, when you move files to another directory, if you want to update the links.

ngeverett
05-28-2011, 04:51 PM
yup i set it all out in dreamweaver. made the images in photoshop and placed them in dreamweaver if thats what you mean?

gentleone
05-28-2011, 04:55 PM
yup i set it all out in dreamweaver. made the images in photoshop and placed them in dreamweaver if thats what you mean?
No that's not what I meant. I mean this:
http://layersmagazine.com/defining-site-dreamweaver.html

ngeverett
05-28-2011, 05:12 PM
ohh i see, yeah that was one of the first things i done before i started the website

gentleone
05-28-2011, 05:23 PM
well, that's pretty weird then. It should ask if you want to update the links even if you moved some files from one directory to another outside Dreamweaver.

ngeverett
05-28-2011, 05:29 PM
yeah its really confusing me haha.
i'll find my uni tutor on friday and ask him to have a look at it. thanks for your help though!

gentleone
05-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Did you check in your Site Manager if everything is still pointing to the right directory?

ngeverett
05-28-2011, 06:25 PM
yeah checked that, all the folders were correct.
i just re-defined the site as well but still no luck. oh dreamweaver why do you hate me :???:

DWcourse
05-28-2011, 09:36 PM
To maintain links you have to move the files in the Files window WITHIN Dreamweaver. If you do that, you should be prompted to update links within the file(s) you move. If you move files in the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer then the links will be broken.

johnMoss
05-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Jim, you beat me to the punch... that will definitely do it....

ngeverett
05-28-2011, 10:19 PM
amazing! thank you!!! such a simple way to do it as well :-D
you have no idea how long i've spent trying to do that haha