PDA

View Full Version : creating an online store

tony09uk
05-28-2011, 10:57 AM
I would like to create an online store. I have looked at some software available but don't want to be adding to my outgoings. Therefore I have decided I'm going to make the whole thing myself.

Ive tried to follow a series of tutorials which I found on youtube but even though he seems to be explaining it well, i'm still getting lost. It has taken me weeks to get to lesson three, not for lack of effort but because of massive confusion. Sometimes the output messages on my screen are not the same as his or I may get errors where he didn't and then I will be stuck for hours...even days trying to find the answer before I am able to move on. If it not with the php side its with the mysql side....and I know its only simple stuff that im missing.

I have looked at php lessons from places like phpacademy, but I thought I would learn better with a project.

Can anyone please advise on what/where I should do/go to get some practical learning for this project?

PS

At the start I was a complete beginner with php and now i'm almost a complete beginner with php

cocoonfx
05-28-2011, 11:31 AM
hi

I would use oscommerce, its easy to install and integrates with a lot payment gateway are supported. It has a lot of features but a beast to customise.

gentleone
05-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Why building it yourself? It will take you years and don't reinvent the wheel. There are heaps of open source webshops.
To name a few:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/
http://www.prestashop.com/

And of course WordPress, Drupal, ModX or Joomla has there shopping cart plugins/components.

edbr
05-30-2011, 12:56 AM
i appreciate ythat you want a project to better understand PHP I did the same myself, but i think you might be running a bit too fast.
why not for example make a login membership first, add a forgot password function. mailing script etc. if you really want a tutorial try Davidj's on this forum or the 1-1 service he offers on his site

tony09uk
05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
ed, I totally agree...now. I have taken the advice of using one of the open source programs and it has given me almost exactly what I want, with a bit more practice i'm sure it will be fully customizable to suit my needs. However I still really want to learn PHP and will start with some smaller tasks and slowly build from there.

tony09uk
05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
gentle thanks for the link, prestashop has proved perfect for me.

gentleone
05-30-2011, 06:06 PM
gentle thanks for the link, prestashop has proved perfect for me.
You're welcome, Tony. And yes... Ed is right... starting small projects, saves you big headaches :)

edbr
05-31-2011, 01:29 AM
I have taken the advice of using one of the open source programs and it has given me almost exactly what I want
prestashop is a great shop. make sure you use the current template for version 1,4 i had 2 go to hell in a hand cart with the upgrade and with 1.5 there will be no mercy for old ones.

tony09uk
06-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Can you help me with sorting my password problem in prestashop?

I searched the internet and found the following:

""If you’re like me and you tried the “lost password” link on prestashop’s backend and never received the email, you might try this solution if you have access to the database. Look in config/settings.inc.php for the _COOKIE_KEY_ value as you’ll need that. Run the following SQL and replace the <> variables with your information.
UPDATE employee SET passwd = md5(“<_COOKIE_KEY_ value><yourNewPassword>”) WHERE email = “youremailaddress”;

I have found the cookie key.
I dont understand what "Run the following SQL" means????
or
"UPDATE employee SET passwd = md5" let alone where I need to go to do it.

I have looked in mysql and tried a couple of things but with no luck.

Please help

edbr
06-02-2011, 04:31 AM
run it in the query window of phpmyadmin or encrypt your own password and replacecit in your database