PDA

View Full Version : going nuts trying to add music

richardstephens
05-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi all.
I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.
I am running Dreamweaver 8 on a Mac OS X 10.6.7.
I have been using DW 8 for a long time now and created various sites but never had this problem.
I am trying to add music to site. I don't like it but the customer (a friend) wants it.

Before bothering you guys, I have seen a number of videos on YouTube about this but nothing I try works.

I have tried Insert>Media>Plugin and then choosing my mp3 file. DW inserts a plugin icon on the page but when I hit "play" in the inspector I get a message:
"The plugin failed to initialize. If this continues, contact the plugin vendor or try to view the plugin in a browser."
I have no idea who the plugin vendor is. When I try to view the plugin in a browser (Firefox), I get a message that some component is missing and I am directed to a page with multiple choices of things to download. I have no idea what I need.

I have also tried pasting the following in the code:
<bgsound src="song1.wav" loop="-1">
and replacing the song title with the file I have in my site folder.
Nothing.
(Don't know why this has switched to bold. Sorry)

I also came across another code to try but with no results:
<html><IFRAME height=0 width=0 frameborder=0 src= PUT LINK HERE FOR SONG></IFRAME>
<!-- --><script type="text/javascript" src="/i.js"></script><script type="text/javascript">if(typeof(urchinTracker)=='function'){_uacct="UA-230305-2";_udn="none";_uff=false;urchinTracker();}</script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://edge.quantserve.com/quant.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript">_qacct="p-44naSaXtNJt26";quantserve();</script>

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? What am I missing here?

PS. I can't afford to upgrade my DW. Too expensive now that I am retired and a pensioner. :(

Thanks for any help.

johnMoss
05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Very simply you have a record in your hands but no record player. The browser is merely telling you this. Your HTML code is trying to access a player online that is no longer there or perhaps moved from the address specified. Try this example first and see if it works and if not, you can resort to flash...
Step by step instructions:
http://0.tqn.com/d/webdesign/1/0/s/K/1/dwsound7.jpg

domedia
05-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Richard make sure you read all the help files to make this work. Important to pay attention to paths.

richardstephens
05-27-2011, 10:26 AM
John. Thanks for the reply. Tried the code you attached substituting the wav title with the mp3 music I have included in the site. Nada de nada.
I don't know what you mean by resorting Flash. Don't know how to use it. Also you can't see it on iPad, iPhone or Blackberry.
But thanks again.

Domedia. Thanks to you too. I went to all the links you attached (except Twitter. Hate it) and did a search on the site. But no clue about what is wrong with how I attach music. I have four sites up on the internet built with DW and they all work perfectly.

In any case, I hate sites with sound or music so I am just going to tell my friend that it can't be done with DW.

edbr
05-27-2011, 10:43 AM
In any case, I hate sites with sound or music so I am just going to tell my friend that it can't be done with DW.

that is music to my ears, or tell him google will downgrade his site, its all for his own good IMO

gentleone
05-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Educating clients - in your case your friend - is IMO the solution. Of course you can say that it can't be done with DW, but it would be better to convince him that music on auto-play is a bad user experience and bad user experience is bad for his business. Offer at least an alternative. Say that you can (I know you can't, but I can help you with that :) ) embed a mp3 player on the page so that users can decide for themselves to click on 'play' or not to listen to that cool track your friend wants to share with the rest of the world.

richardstephens
05-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi Gentleone.
Thanks for the reply. It is really heartening to see that most folks agree with me and noisy webpages!
I am going to stick to my guns about the music but I would like to learn how to embed a mp3 player on a page as you suggest. As Coco Chanel said: "You can never be too thin or too rich or know too much about creating webpages."
You have a very cool site, btw.

gentleone
05-27-2011, 12:39 PM
These days with Flash being ignored by Apple devices, I would use HTML5 with the audio tag. There's a HTML5 mp3 player which has Flash and Silverlight fallback support for browsers/devices which do not support (yet) the audio tag.

http://mediaelementjs.com/

Do you have your page online somewhere, so that I can copy everything? I will make the necessary changes and implement the mp3 player and afterward I will explain what I've done.

You have a very cool site, btw.
Thanks! ;)

domedia
05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Domedia. Thanks to you too. I went to all the links you attached (except Twitter. Hate it) and did a search on the site. That was not part of my reply but part of my signature that goes below every post. Apparently I haven't made sure there's enough distinction :-/

TSG
05-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I was running Dreamweaver8 in 'classic' mode on OSX 10.3.9., and had no end of problems trying to use it in OS-X 10.4.9 . Ostensibly, it was shipped with different installers, including some later version for 'Intel' Macs. If you had subsequently up-graded your system, it may behave as a native install, but I don't think it is compatible under your current Snow Leopard.

*FYI: I have a silver PowerMac. There is no longer any 'Flash/Java' support for anything pre- OS-X 10.4.11, and some recent programs (scripts) can act gimpy in 10.5.6 (Evidently these were fixed by the security/QuickTime up-grade in 10.5.8 .)

richardstephens
05-28-2011, 09:44 AM
TSG: Thanks for that inside info. In the back of my mind was that sneaky suspicion as it worked perfectly on Tiger.

Gonna have a look at upgrading but Adobe seems to stick to their guns as far as high prices are concerned. I like working with DW because I understand it after all these years (over 10?) but my present economics just can't cope.

TSG
05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
At 57, I'm in a similar fix, except my sister works for the Art Institute and I happened to get a flush hand-me-down, via her old computer. From here, I only hope to upload a sketchy 'brochure' to illustrate my culinary objectives. I'm creating a 'virtual storefront,' so as to entice someone into a partner-type relationship, or at least a rapid advancement within an existing bakery hierarchy. Having borrowed (too little) money to operate my own business about 12 years ago, it's been darn tiring to start over as a lowly kitchen knave. ((Also, this ain't Melbourne, Paris or Aix-en-Provenše.))