PDA

View Full Version : Web Fonts Change

barbara
05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Why do our website fonts change when the site is opened on other computers? Is it possible to stop this from happening?

domedia
05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Why do our website fonts change when the site is opened on other computers? Is it possible to stop this from happening?
If you've asked the webpage to use a font that might not be on all computers, it's going to use a different one. This is normally the reason.

Do you have a link?

barbara
05-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes, we understand that will happen, but we are wondering is there a way to change the design so the font will not change on other computers.

We do have a link, however, I am away from the office and just trying to assist them with finding an answer.

Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

Corrosive
05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
There are a few ways round this. Try googling '@font-face', 'google fonts' and 'font deck'. Those should get you started :)

domedia
05-25-2011, 04:08 PM
If you cannot give us a link, can you at least tell us which font face you're using? You have to give us something apart from "It doesn't work" 8)

If you want to have the same font on all browsers, just specify a regular one like 'arial', not need for fancy solutions. Using @font-face on a normal font is not legal, they're intellectual property.

This would be so easy if you just could paste in the link here.

TSG
05-25-2011, 05:07 PM
In my homepage, I specified a classic Mac Serif, (as opposed to Times.)

font-family: "Palatino Linotype", "Book Antiqua", Palatino, serif;

*The first two, (should appear here in green) are NOT likely to be on most Windows machines. They appear in DW Menu as a list of three, as I think this enables other's browsers to 'see' the last face, -else fail!

I might want to specify: Garamond/Palatino/MS Serif --with the objective of pleasing the MAC users... (To heck with the others)

Corrosive
05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
I might want to specify: Garamond/Palatino/MS Serif --with the objective of pleasing the MAC users... (To heck with the others)

Well, that's 10% of the world's computer users catered for :wink:

mangofreak
05-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Usually DW and other applications use the fonts installed on your System therefore as a rule, they will offer as a choice within your application but that is not the case on other machines, browser, systems where other fonts are installed. i.e. I use Ubuntu and many fonts it uses are not on the Mac or PC, but I can always count on Serif and San Serif fonts.

I would suggest you to look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_typography

barbara
05-25-2011, 07:18 PM
I believe the font is "Angelina", but I am sure it is not a common font. The font is actually used in our logo. It seems that what we probably should do is create a jpeg or similar file for our logo and then insert it into the site, rather than what we are doing. I don't believe a picture file would change from computer to computer.

Barbara

gentleone
05-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Oooh... it's a font for a logo. For logotypes you use indeed images.

barbara
05-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure why we did not, but we will get that taken care of right away.

We do, however, appreciate the promptness of all of the replies we received.

We are fairly new to Dreamweaver but are learning more every day.

Hopefully, if we need more assistance, you will be willing to help.

Thanks again.

Barbara

domedia
05-25-2011, 07:55 PM
We are fairly new to Dreamweaver but are learning more every day. DW just do what you ask it for (most of the time ;-) ) make sure you read the article given about web typography.

edbr
05-26-2011, 01:37 AM
I
Using @font-face on a normal font is not legal, they're intellectual property.

Angelina is a free font . there is also a similar but of course not the same ,font on google fonts

TSG
05-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Speaking of fonts, the handiest web resource I know is called MyFonts.com

With their interface, you can select a range of fonts and create some sample text, and lay all of the final selections side-by-side for analysis before purchasing.

"Angelina" may well be in their library, but it is not a common face-name. Usually that means it is a specialty font from a smaller foundry. More often, fonts with odd names are just 'knock-offs' of a similar font with slight character changes. "Optimal" is a classic example.

For your logo, you might create several variations and test them all at different scales (and viewing sizes,) on a page which the public sees no available link to. TRY: JPG's --for exact gradients without banding, and GIF's for solid, cartoon-like fields of text and colors.

domedia
05-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Angelina is a free font . there is also a similar but of course not the same ,font on google fonts
There's plenty of free fonts to use with @font-face. My point was to *not* use @font-face on fonts that are intellectual property.

edbr
05-27-2011, 12:36 AM
yes i got that , i wasnt disputing it, just pointing out that the font the OP was using is a free font

domedia
05-27-2011, 03:03 AM
just pointing out that the font the OP was using is a free font I missed that part. If it is a free font to distribute, then @font-face could be a great idea.

gentleone
05-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Yep, Ed is right!
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Angelina

domedia
05-27-2011, 12:59 PM
In my homepage, I specified a classic Mac Serif, (as opposed to Times.)

font-family: "Palatino Linotype", "Book Antiqua", Palatino, serif; then what is this? :confused:

TSG
05-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Those three entries come up by default in DW4-Mac. The first two evidently are shown here in code view in green, while the last one is evidently {almost?} universal.

In sys 6, 7, 8 & 9, Palatino used to be THE macintosh default serif family. Any Win/OS would automatically see it as Times Book.