PDA

View Full Version : Background Image

pauldf
05-22-2011, 06:46 PM
How's things guys

I was just wondering if someone could help me with a question I have. I'm posting it here because if I'm honest I'm not sure if it's a dreamweaver thing or css or html etc.

I want to design a website for myself but I have seen a few sites that have images either side of the content box and no matter what I try I can't seem to get mine to be visible when I load a page. I manage to get one image visible but then the other is obscured by the content box. I have attached a rough image I did in photoshop to try show you guys what I'm trying to do. If you look at the image you will see paper in the middle with a piece of table either side. That is what I am trying to achieve. How would I get the table pieces to line up so that both will be visible when the page loads?

I can add a css background no problem to my site, once it's just one design etc. but I just can't figure how I get the image to center up on the webpage either side of the content. Again I just wanted to ask to see if you guys might know how I can get the images to line up either side of the content or is it a matter of trial and error with sizes? Or do you reckon that sites like these were created in photoshop/fireworks and then brought into dreamweaver.

Again guys I know I probably didn't explain it as good as I should have but hopefully you get the idea and I would be very thankfully for any advice you can give.

johnMoss
05-22-2011, 07:18 PM
What I would do:

Take the image you have attached & recreate it to the size you need, and use it as your body background. Erase the center portion. Create a div, and then insert your parchment paper as it's background. Position it accordingly centered. You can then add additional divs for content as you please...
There will definitely be some tweaking to get exactly centered & sized. You are familiar with that process I assume?

pauldf
05-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi John

Thanks a million for your reply. It's a simple as that, would you believe I never even taught of doing that :roll: I'll try that and see how it goes, hopefully with a bit of work I can get it how I want it. Thanks again.

johnMoss
05-23-2011, 01:38 AM
You're welcome. In instances like this, as you go to create your divs and get everything positioned, it helps to think of divs not so much as coffee cup containers, but more like lines of chalk on a sidewalk. You can put 'em wherever you like. Simply use css to give them rules... Have fun w/it :)