PDA

View Full Version : self adjusting side bar

oni24u
05-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Hello,

I have a standard header...sidebar....footer styled webpage.

I am trying to get the sidebar to follow the footer as text and images go into subsequent pages....adjust in length to keep butted up again ts the footer.

What needs to be done?

Thank you.
Oni

edbr
05-19-2011, 01:21 AM
you mean to always go down to the footer regardless of the content? i think you do, you could use a repeating image , same a your side bar background in the content parent div.

oni24u
05-19-2011, 02:02 AM
yes you are correct.....so how do I get this done?

edbr
05-19-2011, 02:06 AM
you could use a repeating image , same a your side bar background in the content parent div.
its called a faux image

shu
05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
I am new to web design.
I have the opposite problem, to the thread above, with my sidebar. I want it to stay the length I have chosen. But I want the text to site at the bottom of the sidebar and not come down from the top. When I press return to get the text down to the bottom it extends the length of the sidebar. I have created a sidebar that lays on top of the header, main content and footer for style effect. The CSS for the sidebar bar is: clear-none, display-block, float-inherit, position-absolute. How can I fix the length of the sidebar, as it will be the same size on all pages? How can I set the CSS so that when I bring text in from word or write it straight into DW it sites at the bottom automatically?

domedia
05-19-2011, 06:50 PM
shu, you really should start your own thread. If this does not make sense right away, do that.

For the bar, set a height in CSS
For the text to be at the bottom of the bar, set the bar to be position relative, and then absolutely position the text to the bottom of the bar.