PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver Top 5 Things To Learn

uneek78
05-18-2011, 02:00 AM
If you were to give a Dreamweaver top 5 things you should know right away or would be the MOST useful while utilizing Dreamweaver what would they be? 1 being the most highly desirable thing, whether html, css, etc...etc...

edbr
05-18-2011, 02:08 AM
top 2 would be html and css.
learning what not to do would be tables for layout, frames are bad news importing from fireworks is really a bad idea. would be good warnings

DWcourse
05-18-2011, 03:27 PM
1. Understand the difference between semantic (HTML) and presentational (CSS) markup.
2. Basic HTML
3. CSS basics
4. CSS-based layout (including understanding the CSS Box Model, divs, floating and clearing). The built in layouts are a good way to get introduced to this.
5. What You See Is NOT What You Get. You need to check you pages in all major browsers.

domedia
05-18-2011, 03:54 PM
1. HTML
2. CSS
3. Be able to handcode a website without using Dreamweaver 8)

DWcourse
05-18-2011, 04:38 PM
3. Be able to handcode a website without using Dreamweaver 8)

You know, I wouldn't disagree with this one (especially as a long-term goal). To use Dreamweaver to truly effectively you need to know HTML/CSS which means, if you wanted to, you could hand code. In fact I love it when the light goes on over a student's head and they ask, "Wouldn't it just be easier to fix it over here in the code?" But it takes a long time for some folks to reach that point (and some never do).

But, even when you can hand code, the most important question is, "what is the most efficient way for me to get this current task done." And I find that, for me, that often involves Dreamweaver.

domedia
05-18-2011, 05:16 PM
But, even when you can hand code, the most important question is, "what is the most efficient way for me to get this current task done." And I find that, for me, that often involves Dreamweaver.

That I guess should be the right question to ask. That's why I'm not a pc/mac fan boy either. Or iphone/android. Find a tool that is effective for you.

uneek78
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm soooooooooooooo glad you all chose to dialog like this in my thread. It really helps me and others like me who are new to this. THANKS A LOT!!!! You give me great perspective!

edbr
05-19-2011, 01:12 AM
i think dreamweaver ,which has a natural appeal to beginners, as in you can do this easily has many great things as it tries and mostly succeeds in being some thing for every one but there is often a price to pay for that.
to new users always keep split view open and see what happens to code and the light that Jim spoke of will get brighter

uneek78
05-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks again! I will keep all this in mind. I'm coming along well with photoshop. My next big bear after dreamweaver is flash. Which I'm sucking at so far! :mrgreen:

domedia
05-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I actually went from hand coding, to WYSIWYG with DW (vs2?) in 1998/99.

DWcourse
05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I think I got version 1 in '97. Before that it was hand coding and programs like PageSpinner. DW was actually a huge leap forward.

shu
05-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for this advise. The first question I wanted to ask was about importing my storyboard in from Fireworks. I will now scrap this idea. I sliced it up and brought it in to DW and felt that the tables code was so messy that it would cause problems later on. My feel was I guess correct.

domedia
05-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Before that it was hand coding and programs like PageSpinner. I just found an old copy of my first website. It said 'Made with PageSpinner' in the footer :-D

DWcourse
05-20-2011, 09:06 PM
PageSpinner was a nice little program for its time (but its time passed quickly).