PDA

View Full Version : IE6 layout problem

bgaul33
05-17-2011, 08:11 PM
There is probably a simple solution to this, but I'm a newbie. I have been using Dreamweaver's built-in templates to design a simple site. They seem to work fine on most browsers but the layout is all askew in Internet Explorer 6. I'm guessing it's a problem with the divs but beyond that I don't know.

The url is http://www.anticoagulationcommunity.com

Not all the links are up yet but the problem is pretty evident on the index page.

Any help would be appreciated.

mangofreak
05-17-2011, 11:55 PM
The left column is floated left and the body section as well but there is no "clear:both" class below both floated columns.
I would add:

<br / clear="all"> or on your style create a class
.clear{clear:both;}

then assign it to a <br / class="clear">

that should fix the problem.

bgaul33
05-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. I tried both suggestions without success, although I'm not sure I'm putting the break in the right spot in the HTML. Could you specify the correct location (or do you have any other ideas)? Thanks.

johnMoss
05-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Go back in and check your html. Most of your problems are due to IE 6 not auto-assuming closed tags & minor code violations (nesting errors) such that later versions allow for. To wit:
Check your code against the w3 validator & it'll point out your discrepancies.
Here's the link, it'll tell ya everything you need to fix:

http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input

bgaul33
06-01-2011, 02:54 AM
That worked. Thanks. The problem was a stray <div> tag. I'll bookmark that website.

johnMoss
06-01-2011, 03:31 AM
You're welcome... IE 6 is of course a recurrent problem, including for me too, but in a long thread on the topic, (and there's a bunch on IE6!) the team investigated and concluded that IE 6 is down to single digit usage out there in the world, and mostly in China (hijacked microsoftware reasons)...

bgaul33
06-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Funny. We have it at my other job. :)