PDA

View Full Version : pdf link not working on all browsers

Hania
05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi again peeps, I have been informed of an error on my site with the PDFs. In firefox they work fine, in Opera they work fine, but in IE sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, more don't than do though. Yes it is referenced properly to the right folder on the server as it works on Opera and FF without any issues.

The page is http://www.wavecrestscuba.com/02SMC/11downloads/dls.html

If you spot anything I have missed would be great to point this noob in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

johnMoss
05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I could not get them to work in any browser. Are you working on it as I write? Your one remaining pdf dissappeared from the directory... The issue when you get it back in are your links to the files... Your link (s) was asking to go up the directory tree 4 times....

Hania
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi John, yes I have the folder for the files to download in the root directory, should I move it to the same folder as the actual downloads page then?

edit. Just moved the folder and reset the links so is in the same folder, it works when you right click in FF but not IE now like before, not tried Opera yet brb lol

johnMoss
05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, bottom line is wherever you put them, your links need to match their location. If you put them in the same directory (file) as the page itself, which there is no harm in doing since you have a small site, then in your html for that page, change

<

p><a href="../../downloads/MEDICAL.pdf">PADI medical statement participant record</a></p>

<p><a href="../../downloads/liability.pdf">PADI Statement of risks and liability</a></p>

<p><a href="../../downloads/safe diving.pdf">

to

<

p><a href="MEDICAL.pdf">PADI medical statement participant record</a></p>

<p><a href="liability.pdf">PADI Statement of risks and liability</a></p>

<p><a href="safe diving.pdf">

and you'll be all set...

Hania
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Hiya JOhn,. thanks for your help with this, it was all linked to the right place, now reset them as moved folder, would prefer to have them in a folder as easier to show owner of site how it is laid out and how he can change thiongs if he needs to.

It is strange how I have it exactly as you have shown with folder title in link and yet it still won't work in IE as it should,

johnMoss
05-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Just saw your last post, if you mean uploading the file with the pdf's inside the file, that will be different code again....

Hania
05-16-2011, 09:22 PM
What I want is for people to be able to either right click and "save as" or to be able to download from the site the 3 PDF's. I did look into this and found without another plugin it was easier and supposedly hassle free to set it this way with right click "save as"

edit

That way they dont have to unzip the file or anything and it is quicker for them to view.

johnMoss
05-16-2011, 09:26 PM
That shouldn't be necessary. When they click on the link it should automatically open up in an acrobat viewer and the option of saving is on the toolbar. On your links, if you uploaded the whole downloads file into the same root directory, just add the folder to the code, like so:
><a href="downloads/MEDICAL.pdf">PADI medical statement participant record</a></p>

Hania
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
These are the links, with the PDF's in the right place on the server

<p><a href="downloads/MEDICAL.pdf">PADI medical statement participant record</a></p>
<p><a href="downloads/liability.pdf">PADI Statement of risks and liability</a></p>
<p><a href="downloads/safe diving.pdf">Standard safe practices statement of understanding</a></p>

Which look right but not sure why IE is not working properly, I did have some issues with the site host in new pages not being shown when I had uploaded them though so think it may be a bad host server, can't think of anything else if the code and file placement is right.

Hania
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
the error I am getting in IE is showing as

"unable to download liability.pdf from www.wavecrestscuba.com

Unable to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

DWcourse
05-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Exactly where are you pdf files on the server? can you send direct links to the pdfs? If so we can tell you how to make the links in your html file.

johnMoss
05-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm looking at it now... I still only see the liability file right now, are the other two not uploaded?

johnMoss
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Jim, according to safari it's right where it should be according to the call, and spelling's correct, cap, etc. ... confused here...

Hania
05-16-2011, 09:48 PM
k have just re-synched the whole site so it is exactly as I have it on my PC in DW

fingers crossed it is all there lol

Hania
05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
It is now working in IE and FF after re-synching the site, seems a strange thing to do when FF already found them and IE couldn't.

johnMoss
05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
hmmm... I'm still trying to figure out why I couldn't see the complete directory... glad it's working though :)

Hania
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Thank You for your help John, I have given up on how things sometimes work and sometimes not, I know the files were all on the server cause the report on the original upload says DW put them there lol. Will remember re-synching sorts most things like that out from now on cause I can't trust DW to do what it says it did lol