PDA

View Full Version : Locked by a template

Biggebrein
05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I've been searching for a solution to a "...locked by a template..." error for 5 days now.

The problem :
I cannot edit ANY editable region i created in any child page. Not even the automatically made <title> </title> tag in de Head.

I use Dreamweaver MX 6.0

Searching for solution :
I have googled and searched many forums. I checked & doublechecked these solutions i have found that migth explain or solve this :
- Check W3C validation. I have XHTML 1.0 strict and had to place some /> in stead of >, but other than that passed with 1 warning.
- Check if there is a <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --> ... yes it got generated automatically
- Title is made editable too automatically
- I placed a Javascript I had in a external file and linked it : <script type="text/javascript" src="../sources/slide.js"></script>
- I tried putting any linked files in Head between the <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --> bit

I am out of idea's and I still can't get passes the "...locked by a template error ...". So please help me find a way to a solution!

Online I put some files as reference :

1. The file I used as the basis for my template. The page should be W3C validated :
http://www.railzminiworld.com/testsite/templatebasis.htm

2. The template I created from this (save templatebasis.htm as template ...)
http://www.railzminiworld.com/testsite/Templates/rmwlayout6.dwt

3. The template I created from this with CSS an JS files between <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
http://www.railzminiworld.com/testsite/Templates/rmwlayout6.dwt

4. 2 child pages I made from templates file under 2. and 3. I can't even edit the <title> </title> and didnt see any need to put another editable region in it, since this didn't work either in previous attempts.
http://www.railzminiworld.com/testsite/Untitled-8.htm
http://www.railzminiworld.com/testsite/Untitled-9.htm

It must be something really basic I am missing here?!

And while I am here a few additional questions :

- How do I put in a editable region around <meta name="Description" content="" />? I tried to add editable region as <title> , but i automatically puts the editable region somewhere in the <body>. I tried "Make attribute editable..." and this seems to make a editbale region in the bottom of <head>. However can't edit it (yet). Probable to to with the problem above.

- I work in codeview. Is it allowed to move editable regions just by editing the code? I've read on another forum that you should never move a editable region yourself from the location that dreamweaver put it. Is this true?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Guus

DWcourse
05-12-2011, 09:37 PM
MX is seriously out of date but your template is working fine as far as I can tell. I can edit the title and add a description.

However, you haven't added any editable regions to the template. So the one's that DW puts in the <head> are all that's there. So none of the visible part of the page is editable.

Biggebrein
05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your reply!

MX is seriously out of date

I know, but no budget to upgrade. Basic functionality like templates should work fine i guessed? They've worked for me the last 10 years. So why not now.... Guessed wrong :-)

This is the first website i made without tables and with CSS, but that shouldnt cause these kinds of problems I guess.

but your template is working fine as far as I can tell. I can edit the title and add a description.

The template i can edit, yes. But did you test editing a child page made from that template? With MX i can't edit the title of any child page. Then i get the "..locked template..." error.

<< Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or a translator. This change will be discarded. >>

What version of dreamweaver are you using?

However, you haven't added any editable regions to the template. So the one's that DW puts in the <head> are all that's there. So none of the visible part of the page is editable.

I know (see point 4 of my original post). As i couldnt even edit the automatically made <title> editable region in a child page, it seemed useless to me to add another editable region. I tried that before and i couldnt edit that region either. So i decided first to get any editing of any editable region working in the child pages before adding more.

So do you have any more hints on what i can do to solve the problem in MX or is your advice to upgrade?

Thanks,
Guus

edbr
05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
i know its not the point but you could edit in notebook and resave a copy

Biggebrein
05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
i know its not the point but you could edit in notebook and resave a copy

I know that is possible. But the website consists of more than 400 pages where the contentmanagement is done by people that don't know anything about webdesign. They only know how to edit textfields and placing an image in dreamweaver.

If it was only me than the problem was less big. Its also possible to remove the "template"-tag in <head> of a childpage with a text editor and then edit the page in dreamweaver.

So workarounds I know of, but its the managing of the (content) of the website that needs to work smoothly.

Thanks for your reply
Guus

DWcourse
05-13-2011, 02:31 PM
I copied one of you pages made from a template and was able to edit the title and add a description using Dreamweaver CS5.5.

If you didn't create the template but it was created in a later version of DW that could be the problem.

Or, given the age of the program, it may not be totally compatible with your current OS.

BTW, if it's a 400 page site and there's no budget for an upgrade to DW maybe they shouldn't be bothering with an upgrade to the site.

Biggebrein
05-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I copied one of you pages made from a template and was able to edit the title and add a description using Dreamweaver CS5.5.

If you didn't create the template but it was created in a later version of DW that could be the problem.

I created the template myself with DW MX. Strange that is doesnt work.

Or, given the age of the program, it may not be totally compatible with your current OS.

I am on winXP and the current website is managed without any problems with same DW MX version, incl. templates.

BTW, if it's a 400 page site and there's no budget for an upgrade to DW maybe they shouldn't be bothering with an upgrade to the site.

?? i don't do the business decisions here :-) I just design website and trying to use DW to do so :lol:

Thanks for the reply
Guus