PDA

View Full Version : Duplicating A Page In Dreamweaver

uneek78
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Once I've gotten the main parts of a particular page in Dreamweaver CS5 situated the way I want it how can I duplicate that page and use it as the 2nd page of my webpage? Not sure how sane that sounds.

Not sure if what I asked makes sense. It's pretty much how you go to somebodies website and all the pages look alike accept the content is different.

DWcourse
05-11-2011, 09:25 PM
That's what Dreamweaver's templates are for. You can save an existing page as a template, add editable region(s) and then create new pages from the template via the File>New… menu item.

But read up about templates first so you don't misuse them and make your life miserable.

uneek78
05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
That editable region sounds like a good idea. Can you edit the template EVER or once it's a template it's no longer editable? Also, in the editable region do you have to have something in particular in that space or does it just cover a block of space and doesn't care what you put in that space afterward?

DWcourse
05-13-2011, 07:20 PM
You can edit templates freely at any time. When you update template content that is not in an editable region and save the template, DW offers to update all the pages based upon that template. So it's a convenient way to update menus, copyright or even apply a new design to an existing template-based page.

On a template-based page, you can only edit within the editable regions. You place any kind of content within an editable region.

You need to study up a bit on templates in order to use them correctly.