PDA

View Full Version : Laying out text with tabs - best way?

Finland Blue
05-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to layout some text and not sure the best way :

Its the travel details of a holiday :

I need :

Date
Time (eg 09:30) itinerary text would go here .... needs to be "tabbed" so it does not drop under the time (like it does here!)

Is the best way to do that layout using divs? I did try this but seems very complicated, fiddly.

Corrosive
05-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Use a table perhaps?

Finland Blue
05-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Use a table perhaps?

Hmm. Easy as that huh?

I had learnt from this forum NOT to use tables ;-) but I think in this case its really the best solution!

gentleone
05-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I had learnt from this forum NOT to use tables ;-) but I think in this case its really the best solution!
Using tables for layout is bad practice and that's what we mean with that, but it's perfectly okay to use a table in your case. Dates, time... agenda... can be tabular data.

Corrosive
05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Yeah, Ricky55 picked me up on this a few weeks ago and he is completely right. Just saying 'don't use table for layout' is, in fact, not correct or helpful (I guess I just get lazy explaining it). Each tag has it's own meaning like a spoken language so, divs (or HTML5 tags) for site structure, headers, paras etc for text and tables are perfectly OK to use for tabular data which is what you have here.