PDA

View Full Version : lock a region of a template CS4

byterbit
05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
How to lock a section of a template ? That is I'd like to make non-editable a part of a template file such that any changes I make there cascade to all other pages based on that template, and that I can not make changes to this area in these other pages.
Easy enough to make it Edit-able, but for the life of me I cant seem to find on google how to go the other way !

DWcourse
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
There is no special action required to create a "locked" area. All areas of a template that aren't designated as editable are "locked." Meaning you can only edit them on the template (and allow the changes to be passed through to pages created from the template).

byterbit
05-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Sorry for not being clear; I had made that area "editable" and now want to make it un-editable.
That is it can now be changed by any "child" pages and I want to turn that off so that only changes in the DWT file will take.
I think I found that with "repeating region" but now I get
"some regions in this document has no corresponding regions in the new template" .
I'm in the middle of remaking all pages with the new template ; quite a PITA.
:confused: :confused:

DWcourse
05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
If you are remaking the template. I would consider starting fresh.

Editable regions you want to keep: make sure you duplicate the name of that region exactly in the new template.

Editable regions you want to lose: simply don't use them in the new template.

When you apply the new template to the pages you will get the warning you mention. Since, I assume, you no longer need the content that was in that area, you can just indicate that that content should go "Nowhere" (i.e. be deleted).

Another option is to delete the comments that create the editable region in the template. The opening comment will look something like:

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="Main Content" -->

And the closing will look like this:

<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

Be careful and make sure you get it right. Again, when you update the pages, you'll get the warning.

BTW, you might want to back up your site files now (and along the way).

byterbit
05-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Very very kind of you.
Can you come over ? Offer you a beer ? Pay you to do this ? Just kidding, I've gone through worse. (most often with MS products though)
Speaking of Microsoft; I came here from Frontpage , and I was expecting something complex and powerful with CS4, but lacking all these "gotchas" (that I'm used to with MS); may I ask, is CS5 more mature ? Less of these
kind of things ?

DWcourse
05-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd say most typical users won't really notice all that much difference between Dreamweaver CS4 and CS5 (and CS5.5). Here's a rundown of some of what you'll find: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/upgrade-adobe-dreamweaver-cs5-5.php

Unfortunately, Adobe seems to have somewhat ignored the novice/average user lately while adding features for the "pros."