PDA

View Full Version : Server Advice Needed

Sandman
05-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi.
I have developed a couple of sites using Dreamweaver 8 on a Windows Vista OS.
I set up a local testing server using XAMPP running Apache and MySQL with phpmyadmin for the databases (both site-info relative and membership databases).

Now I want to rent a webserver and go live on the net with them.

Trouble is, I come to look for a dedicated server and realise I'm stumped through lack of experience as to what to go for - Linux or Windows.

Given I obviously want to replicate my familiar Dreamweaver/XAMPP/Apache/MySQL/phpmyadmin set-up, can anyone tell me exactly what type of server I should be renting?

I bought Symantec Endpoint Small Business User for protection but find that it only works with Windows servers, then conversely, read that Linux should be my preferred choice given the DW development.

Confused.

Anyone give me a definitive recommendation?

Corrosive
05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Your development would require Linux. I'm afraid I have no idea what "Symantec Endpoint Small Business User" is.

domedia
05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
My advice would be to get shared unix server hosting. Nothing you mentioned requires a dedicated server.

edbr
05-04-2011, 04:28 AM
agreed linux (apache) server. as for the software it is not cobnnected to web use from what i see

Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition is PC security software that protects servers, laptops and desktops from viruses, spyware and other malware threats in a single, integrated product. It meets small business needs with an enterprise-class PC security solution that is simple to install, easy to use and high-performance so you can stay focused on running your business.

DWcourse
05-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Agreed with everything said so far and would add to make sure you host offers the cPanel control panel. It's fairly universal (the dreaded GoDaddy doesn't use it) to you can get help administering your site fairly easy if needed. (and included php-admin)

Sandman
05-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks very much for the info, gents, will make use of it.