PDA

View Full Version : images not lining up

JJtheJoker
05-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Hey guys need a spot of help again, also I'm going to change the background to a jpeg to make it smaller.

Everything was lined up in fine in dreamweaver until I started trying to edit the text area I created, now on the front page there's a big gap underneath the main logo. The border is at zero as well too. It looks fine on dreamweaver till I go to preview it in a browser. Thanks in advance. -Josh

www.brave-design.ca (http://www.brave-design.ca)

JJtheJoker
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
apparently I can't edit my above post, but I fixed the problem, had an extra set of <div> tags

Corrosive
05-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Josh, please don't take this the wrong way but, in my opinion, you shouldn't be offering to build websites commercially using 'export from Photoshop' code (tables and all). It's not fair on clients.

JJtheJoker
05-03-2011, 06:18 AM
I'm using the site for more of a learning process than anything, something to build and test ideas on, but do you mean it's better to do manual lining up in dreamweaver? even if you make the site into a template and use editable regions?

Corrosive
05-03-2011, 06:31 AM
That's fair enough but I saw the end-game is to build websites for clients. Commercially acceptable websites should be built using semantically correct markup (i.e. the right tags for the right content so a page makes sense) styled with CSS to separate style from content.

This is really important to compete in Search Engines nowadays.

Tables are a tag designed for tabular data and not layout and the 'spacer' gifs that Photoshop churns out are not relevant to your page content and so shouldn't be there. Also you end up with in-line styles in your tables.

If you rely on Photoshop or DW's 'Design View' as a crutch then you'll never get your head round it all. Remember that a website has many layers and the look of a website is just the start of what you need to learn.

I know you've just started out but better you learn the right way than the sh*t way.

JJtheJoker
05-03-2011, 06:44 AM
haha very true, thanks man, yeah I never liked how it created all those extra images it's been causing me a lot of problems, every time I want to change anything I have to go back and re-slice it in photoshop, I've been sorta learning some css but I'll start spending some more time on lynda.com and working through everything the right way

Corrosive
05-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Good man :) I'd recommend creating a website layout with no graphics at all to start with. That way you are simply dealing with the code and have no distractions with the way it looks. DW has quite a few good in-built CSS layouts you can take apart to see how they tick.

Don't forget, when you get stuck, ask here. We'll be much happier helping you learn if you have approached it properly.

JJtheJoker
05-03-2011, 06:11 PM
awesome thanks bro:)