PDA

View Full Version : adding downloadable pdf page 2 site

cgm
04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm new to the programing end of web site design & am currently working of the development of my 1st site - currently i'm still at the learning stage of developing my portfolio site http://cgmstudio.net/ -

As it's clearly taking longer 2 learn than I expected I want browsers to be able to download a pdf showcasing a sampling of my works - Site the site is at the conception stage I am using Maps in the property window to highlight the area I want linkable - Right now all I'm getting when I go live is an error message -

I welcome any suggestion anyone can offer me - Thanks cgm

domedia
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
A simple link to the PDF will do

<a href="document.pdf">Download Link</a>

d a v e
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
your pdf link on the site is broken

cgm
05-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes I know the pdf link is broken - it's the how 2 fix it that is challenging me - I did try 2 link it - which seemed like the most obvious step 2 take - but some how the error message is still there so clearly something is a mist - Does any one have any other suggestion as 2 what the problem may b & how I can fix it -

domedia
05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
You need to know exactly where the PDF is, and then link to it.

We must be missing something here.

d a v e
05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
check the link points to the right place and that the filename is correct, adn that you have uploaded the pdf to the server

cgm
05-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Thank u for all ur feedback - yes the pdf is on the server - but i've noticed that I have to personally place my home page pic in the required server folder - don't know why that was & i'm assuming I have 2 do the same w/ the pdf I'm just unsure which folder 2 place it in - I tried w/ the images & w/ the index page - neither seems 2 work - the tech w/ my hosting company has been of no help as he is not DW savvy -

this has & continues 2 b quite a learning experience -

d a v e
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
well if you're using dw then use that to make the link -how can you go wrong? select the text and then browse to the file

cgm
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Thats exactly what i've done - which is why I'm surprised it's not working - all logic tells me that is all that is required - is there a specific folder on the server the pdf should be stored that I could check & confirm - As I mentioned I tried storing the pdf w/ the images & got an error message & have tried storing it w/ the site home page html also w/ out success -

it seems like something might b going wrong in the upload process but I can't figures out what it is much less how 2 fix it -

cgm
05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Dave I just noticed ur in Finland - my brother & his family live in Finland as his wife is from there - what a small world

d a v e
05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Dave I just noticed ur in Finland - my brother & his family live in Finland as his wife is from there - what a small world
wow - it is. i've been living here now for 11 years and still learning the language... :)

pqkawara
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
You need to know exactly where the PDF is, and then link to it.

We must be missing something here.
check the link points to the right place and that the filename is correct, adn that you have uploaded the pdf to the server

d a v e
05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=pqkawara;193667]check the link points to the right place and that the filename is correct, adn that you have uploaded the pdf to the server

if you simply quote what i say as though it was your idea it just makes you look like a really dumb link dropper ;)

cgm
05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanx 2 everyone 4 all ur assistance - I have attempted 2 follow all ur advise - Yes the pdf is on the server & yes the link is correctly named & attached - as there are no other files associated w/ this site at this time other than the home page jpg. it is impossible to select an incorrect fill - can someone tell me the actual folder on the server the pdf. should b stored in as I've been guessing - which clearly is not working -

boy is this frustrating but I welcome the learning curve

d a v e
05-03-2011, 05:59 PM
it doesn't matter where it's stored as long as you get the link right ;) why not put it in your images folder, for example, then link to it. upload everything and post a link and tell us the name of the pdf

that way you check by going to yoursite.com/images/name-of-file.pdf and see if it's there and we can check the ink from the file if it still doesn't work