PDA

View Full Version : A celebration of the motherland...

johnMoss
04-29-2011, 04:41 AM
OK T & the rest of you fine blokes up north...
I would have it known that on the eve of the 28th in Plano, Texas there did occur a collection of women on my patio who dutifully declared alarms and/or DVR's set for 4 AM whence a spiritual gathering of like-minded souls shall center on the telly for homage to the gown and all else it entails... In as much as we guys shall quietly snicker at this endless fascination with "THE" royal wedding, girls of all ages are just absolutely positively eating this stuff up. One cannot help but take pride that the entire planet is focused on mother England, which to those of us in the provinces, 3 centuries removed, still cherish as the unchallenged harbinger of things prosperity, decency, and civil order to planet Earth...
A Hearty Cheers to you all mates...:)

edbr
04-29-2011, 04:52 AM
We're having a wedding, you're paying. You're not invited. Now run along and organise a street party in our honour. There's a good peasant.

Corrosive
04-29-2011, 07:28 AM
OK T & the rest of you fine blokes up north...
I would have it known that on the eve of the 28th in Plano, Texas there did occur a collection of women on my patio who dutifully declared alarms and/or DVR's set for 4 AM whence a spiritual gathering of like-minded souls shall center on the telly for homage to the gown and all else it entails... In as much as we guys shall quietly snicker at this endless fascination with "THE" royal wedding, girls of all ages are just absolutely positively eating this stuff up. One cannot help but take pride that the entire planet is focused on mother England, which to those of us in the provinces, 3 centuries removed, still cherish as the unchallenged harbinger of things prosperity, decency, and civil order to planet Earth...
A Hearty Cheers to you all mates...:)

I actually don't mind the royal family and it is a nice distraction from what has been a fairly rough couple of years in the UK. Having said that, I won't be watching it and intend to take full advantage of there being no girls in the pubs this afternoon by going for a proper lads drinking session!

johnMoss
04-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I won't be watching it and intend to take full advantage of there being no girls in the pubs this afternoon by going for a proper lads drinking session!

And there you have it! A good excuse for extra pints! Yeah!

domedia
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
And having lived for long enough times on both sides of the pond, I have to say it still baffles me that Americans are so taken by royals. It's a big thing over here, and I'm not sure why. TV media is going nuts over it.

johnMoss
04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
I had it explained to me... (force fed?) And in this case especially, cause commoner marries a prince. Fairy tale in real life. "Oh, OK, I get it." What a wonderful occasion, right dear? ... Can I go out & play now?":)

domedia
04-29-2011, 02:32 PM
It's like a Disney movie, but for reals! Now I get it 8)

edbr
04-30-2011, 12:35 AM
ah thats what it is! so everybody watched to see the donkey and the talking cat then

johnMoss
04-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Now Ed... May I also have it known that in light of your candid lack of enthusiasm for what surely must be interpreted as

void stayAlive() {if(wifeWatching) then{the social event of the decade}
{system.out.print "I did in fact spend a good deal of time today in trying to
come up with some witty, clever alliterative muse for you, and, shame, failed
utterly... The best I could come up with is wascal wabbit whiney wannabe..."}
else{"agree"+ beer++}

I forthwith solemnly promise to do better and humbly apologize...:)

davidj
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
It was eerie in Newcastle on the day. Walking past Jane Norman boutique I saw a tumble weed....

Corrosive
05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Walking past Jane Norman boutique

Surely you mean 'in to'? ;)

johnMoss
05-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Good example of the royals ginning up new business for the isles. Have never heard of this young lady until the news item... Been big in the UK for a year & now this girl is getting ready to be an all-out world-wide breakaway star... Deservedly so too... Not a bad tune on the whole album.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/bVAUlaq1iDc

Corrosive
05-04-2011, 06:04 AM
I find her voice a little 'odd' for some reason but fair play to her if she breaks the US. Not many UK bands can truly say they are big stateside.

johnMoss
05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Not many UK bands can truly say they are big stateside.
Beg to differ... A lot more than you would think... Monday night's toast to bin laden's new facial was offered up with a backdrop of Little Lion Man... Oh we's jus so cultured down hyahr...

Corrosive
05-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Beg to differ... A lot more than you would think... Monday night's toast to bin laden's new facial was offered up with a backdrop of Little Lion Man... Oh we's jus so cultured down hyahr...

I guess that is down to your interpretation of 'big' (although, being a Texan I'd have thought your definition would be far bigger than mine). I mean bands that sell out US Tours, the likes of U2 and Iron Maiden.

johnMoss
05-10-2011, 01:42 AM
I guess that is down to your interpretation of 'big' (although, being a Texan I'd have thought your definition would be far bigger than mine). I mean bands that sell out US Tours, the likes of U2 and Iron Maiden.

I'm to a point of tracking youtube hits as opposed to professionally organized concerts. I have to assume you guys have heard of pandora, and if not, pandoradotcom. Much of the radio here is governed by a few radio megacorps and hence nothing but top 40 (mostly junk) is yielded by them... Much of what becomes truly popular at the street level here is entirely through social media, with rare exception...