PDA

View Full Version : Can't Edit in the Editable Region of a DW8 Template page with CS5

John C
04-25-2011, 10:22 AM
I have recently upgraded from DW8 to CS5. This occurred when I purchased a new computer with the OS going from XP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate. DW8 didn't like the new OS. Now at this stage I am still carrying maintenance out on the DW8 created sites (haven't created any new CS5 ones yet) and I am having trouble with the PVII Menu system which I was forced to upgrade to Version II (to cope with the New Everything) however, more importantly, CS5 will not let me edit the Editable Section of the Template pages as DW8 used to do (as soon as I click on the Editable area, the whole sheet "greys out" and locks me out). I can disengage the Template, however if I do that I can't reattached the page back to the Template. Are you aware of a work around, because if not, it looks as though I am going to have to waste hours re-creating the page as a CS5 page to overcome this issue. Your comments will be appreciated. Hope you might have a solution. With over sixty pages on one site, I am not looking forward too that I can assure you....:-(

www.financehere.com.au (http://www.financehere.com.au) will open the (homepage - index.htm) 1st of a number of pages I need to change.

The Headers & footers, Menu on the left hand side and the bar on the right hand side which has the sign-up links are stored in a DW8 DWT file, with the content in the middle as an Editable Section. This kept the format throughout the whole site, and all I had to do was add content and then save it to the DWT template. Under DW8 I can edit the Editable section, however under CS5 I am being locked out.

Some advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Please excuse the "roughness" of the site, this was my class project when I did my Dreamweaver course some years ago, and I am about to give it a huge make-over.

Your assistance and advice would be very much welcomed.

Regards,

John C

DWcourse
04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
You've got a mess there. Usually this should come at the top of your code right after the DOCTYPE declaration:

<script language="JavaScript" src="mm_menu.js" type="text/javascript"></script><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/index.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" --><head>

John C
04-26-2011, 06:40 AM
I have attempted to amend the Code as you have suggested, however CS5 will not permit the change as it would appear this is protected & locked and will not allow the change to occur.

Could this have something to do with the original web-site pages being created with frames & layers (the old way we did it under MX 2004 days) and CS5 using CSS is causing a conflict therefore locking the code relevant to this change. Is there a way to have CS5 to unlock this area (unprotect) to allow the changes.

It is looking like that the easiest way to resolve this is to create a second site and build a new site from scratch with CS5 and CSS (I am wanting to give it a complete make-over anyway) and put up with the current site (with the out of date information) until the new site is ready.

IN order to change the existing site, will Contribute allow me to make these changes in the meantime until the new site is completed and ready to be published?

I have appended the index.dwt code for your perusal to see whether this throws a light in the problem. If you would like a copy of the code for index.htm page, please let me know and I will post it!

I note that at the "EditRegion1" section of the code, the "TemplateBeginEditable" and "TemplateEndEditable" in the dwt code is shown, however in the index.htm code, this has been changed to "InstanceBeginEditable" and "InstanceEndEdtiable" by DW8 when the page was originally created.

The link to the dwt page is as follows;

http://www.financehere.com.au/Templates/index.dwt

Your expert advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

John C