PDA

View Full Version : slideshow

RainForest
04-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Hello,

After updating my slideshow page, the slideshow no longer appears live on either Firefox or IE. The slideshow code was not changed. What would cause it to display locally but not on the web? IE indicated there's an error on the page - how can I find it?

johnMoss
04-19-2011, 01:33 AM
First things first; silly question, but gotta ask.. Did you delete the old pictures from the image folder, and if so, did you refresh your browser? Both of them may be trying to pull up cached versions of the page...

RainForest
04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
What I did was delete the flash object, then I inserted a new flash object and added the pointers to the pictures & re-uploaded the page. The pictures haven't changed their location, and the slideshow page hasn't changed its location - the template the slideshow is based on changed /its/ location, though.

johnMoss
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
The template the slideshow is based on; is it not intuitive where it needs to be or can you not simply redirect your link?

RainForest
04-19-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're asking.

I really seem to have a problem with my file locations (see http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193098 for most recent issue) ever since we moved our site to a new domain last month and I copied the 'old' site into a new folder and set up a 'new' site with a few minor changes.

Re the slideshow, I noticed that I had a new folder inside the root folder - also called 'root'. Inside this was a folder named 'Scripts' and inside that is a file named AC_RunActiveContent.js. Knowing that this new folder called 'root' was out of place, I moved the file to the Scripts folder inside the (main) root folder, and then deleted the rogue root folder.

Then I deleted the flash object again, and re-created it. I noticed that at the moment I saved the flash object, the rogue root folder was recreated! I moved the file /again/, uploaded the .js file and slideshow.html, but it still doesn't display live (local, yes).

johnMoss
04-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Jim will have a more knowledgeable answer for this; in defining your site in Dreamweaver that additional folder has set your links out of whack. In the immediate moment, what are the exact differences between your local file setup and how they appear on your host? What is different about the file paths? Sounds like you've got to go one additional folder up on your host. If so, can you not safely get rid of the additional directory, i.e. delete all & reload?

RainForest
04-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Jim will have a more knowledgeable answer for this; in defining your site in Dreamweaver that additional folder has set your links out of whack.
So the big question is WHY did DW create that additional folder???

what are the exact differences between your local file setup and how they appear on your host?
Not a darn thing that I can see!

can you not safely get rid of the additional directory, i.e. delete all & reload?
I didn't upload the "rogue" folder, so only had to delete it locally, and upload the correct files, which I did - a few times. Since all my files are within the Root folder, I simply don't understand why DW is creating a new folder called 'root' to put that .js file in...

DWcourse
04-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Can you post a screen shot of your remote and local sites (in the Files window) while you are connected to the server? I suspect it's a site definition issue but can't be more specific without more info. Also, a link to your site might help.

RainForest
04-21-2011, 05:17 PM
www.cityofdepoebay.org (http://www.cityofdepoebay.org) (requested screenshot attached)

DWcourse
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't know if this is the only issue but you have this in the code that calls your slide show:

<param name="movie" value="file:///C|/Users/Accounting/Documents/website-cityofdepoebay.org/root/images/slideshow/slideshow.swf" />

That's actually linking to a file on your local computer. Try changing it to

<param name="movie" value="../images/slideshow/slideshow.swf" />

That can happen when you move the site files or insert a link before a site is properly defined.

RainForest
04-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I'll make a note to remember to look for a broken link within the flash element itself.