PDA

View Full Version : template updated but pages didn't

RainForest
04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Hello,

It seems I constantly have a problem when I update my "global" template - the one I use whenever I need to make a new page.

Trying to make a long story short (the site was built with the template out of place, and I'm trying to remedy that), I'll say that when I updated the template last week, and it asked if I wanted pages updated, I said yes. However, my pages were NOT updated (or they were updated incorrectly, I'm not sure which), and now I've got a gazillion broken links on my site.

This morning I checked out "check links sitewide" and the list is LONG. Is there an easy way to update links on pages built off a template? Is there ANY way to update links on pages built off a template?? Do I have to re-create all the pages that have broken links???

RainForest
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Update

I have resolved the immediate issue by re-creating & uploading each of the affected pages from scratch using the updated template.

But the questions remain. On the side, I have repeatedly had troubles when updating templates. A couple of years ago, I updated a template, and it updated all the pages based on it to be IDENTICAL to the template - including the editable regions! I've never yet figured that one out, but it's made me hesitant to update templates ever since that happened!

I'd like to understand why I have so much trouble when updating templates - because I need to do it on an infrequent but routine basis. Sometimes it works without a hitch, and sometimes I end up like yesterday - having to recreate all the pages from scratch.

I'd appreciate any insight on this process that might eliminate the snags.

DWcourse
04-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Templates have never given me issues. I'm not sure how someone builds a site with the template out of place since DW automatically saves all templates in the Templates folder but I would assume that's your issue. If the template was applied to the page while it was "out of place" when you move the template to the proper location all the links to the template will be broken so no pages will update.

RainForest
04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure how the template folder got out of place either.

I had copied the entire local site directory into a folder with a new name when we recently changed domains. The "new" site was uploaded with only a few minor changes.

The original site folder (which I still have) has the templates folder in the correct location (inside root), but somehow the new site had it outside the root folder. I don't know how it got there.

So I moved the templates folder, and then I updated the links. When I saved the updates, I was asked if I wanted to update the pages based on the template, and I said yes. I don't know what went wrong.

RainForest
04-19-2011, 09:48 PM
In looking at the Advanced Site Definition, I notice that in the Templates category, "Template updating: Don't rewrite document relevant paths" is checked. Could this be causing the problem?