PDA

View Full Version : a true beginner

kkolompar
04-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Hello!

I have been researching on the net for a solution to my task. I want to create a scrolling menu with submenus. I found Spry but I got warned that not everybody will be able to see it because not everybody has their Java turned on.....I wonder as how to tackle this problem? Are there other solutions?

Is it better to make the menu in Flash and then link it to the HTML Dreamweaver page? Donīt know how to proceed.

Thanks for all the comments!

Ricky55
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Well Flash doubles the issue because users will then need the Flash Player Installed and possibly Javascript depending on how the Flash file has been embedded.

You can of course just use CSS to create drop down menus and these will work on any device although must users do have Javascript enabled. The important thing is that your menu still works even when javascript is turned off. It might not animate and cool that great but as long as the functionality is still there.

The Apple website is a great example of this. Go on with javascript enabled and things fade in and animate turn Javascript off and things still work they just don't look as cool.

This is a really nice one, quite advanced though.
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/how-to-build-a-kick-butt-css3-mega-drop-down-menu/

FethrdWlf
04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
What I would do is just add the <noscript> tags.

<html>
<head>...</head>
<body>
<script>Or whatever the spry menu stuff is.</script>
<noscript>Add the text here that you want to appear when a user does not have JavaScript installed.</noscript>
</body>
</html>

Hope that helps some.

edbr
04-19-2011, 01:05 AM
have a look what can be done with just css, www.cssplay.co.uk