PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to Dreamweaver CS5.5

DWcourse
04-17-2011, 10:52 PM
With the announcement of Dreamweaver CS5.5, I've been getting a lot of questions about whether it will be worth the price of the upgrade so I've taken a look at each version fo Dreamweaver since DW8, the new features that have been added and give my opinion about whether the upgrade justifies the cost: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/upgrade-adobe-dreamweaver-cs5-5.php

edbr
04-18-2011, 01:52 AM
good idea, good review, i am suspicious of any upgrade with a decimal point by default

DWcourse
04-18-2011, 04:30 AM
good idea, good review, i am suspicious of any upgrade with a decimal point by default

Adobe's justification is that the online and mobile world is moving so fast that their 18 month upgrade cycle wasn't adequate. So they've switched to a 2 year cycle with a midpoint .5 upgrade for products that need it. We'll see how it works out. It really is a compelling upgrade for those who can use the new features but I don't think that will be most DW users.

edbr
04-18-2011, 05:31 AM
so a one year upgrade with a daft number every other time then

DWcourse
04-18-2011, 05:58 AM
so a one year upgrade with a daft number every other time then

That's it. It looks like all programs will upgrade on the two year cycle with other programs getting the .5 treatment as needed. For instance Photoshop and Illustrator only move to CS5.1 with this release. :confused:

edbr
04-18-2011, 06:13 AM
that makes it great that you took the time to review it. actually as i usually spend months moaning that i will never update dreamweaver again, the new one might be issued as beta :)

Corrosive
04-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Interesting and useful breakdown JC. I think mobile is absolutely the main reason to upgrade.

Adobe's justification is that the online and mobile world is moving so fast that their 18 month upgrade cycle wasn't adequate.

could be roughly translated as 'we can't believe the iStuff won't run flash so we've had to get an alternative out ASAP to save face' but, if it works, I'm good with the upgrade price.