PDA

View Full Version : Advice With Dreamweaver and a CMS

pauldf
04-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Guys

First off don't kill me for posting this here. I know there is a CMS thread but that seems to deal with WordPress, Joomla and Drupal.

The thing is I'm not one for building sites etc. using any of those (If I'm honest I haven't even went digging to see what Joomla or Drupal can do, I just scammed the surface but they all seem to use templates and I only set up a few pages with WordPress but I just used generic templates up there). I just build my sites using Dreamweaver cs3, I like being able to do what I do with dreamweaver :)

Well anyway here is where I need a bit of advice. I am building a school website for my other half, and they have no idea about coding etc.
After getting the design and layout the way she likes it (loads of Flash and spinning shiny things :lol: ), she asked me is there anyway for them to be able to update the pages from their school without having a meltdown trying to learn html/css etc.

So basically what I'm looking for is advice from anyone here about how they added such a CMS to Dreamweaver. Again it has to be very simple on their end. I was looking at Cushy CMS, you just insert Cushy tags into the html code (editable region) and this area then becomes editable when you log into your account through the Cushy CMS website.

The thing is, is there a better system then Cushy CMS? Again if I am honest I reckon we would have colonised the solar system by the time I got around to learning how to build a secure CMS from scratch.

I just need it to be as simple as possible for them (they can add documents,files and photos etc. to the page they want to edit) but because it's a school website it has to be secure.
Again I only looked at Cushy CMS but you have to give them your FTP details so the pages are there for you to edit. There seems to be a few out there like Cushy CMS but again I don't know which to try.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give.

All the best guys.

* Admin: Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong thread, please feel free to move it to the CMS thread if you feel the need. I just wanted to get opinions from guys who built their sites with dreamweaver on this topic.

domedia
04-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Check out Adobe Contribute

pauldf
04-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi

Thanks for your post. I taught about using Adobe Contribute but would they not need to have Contribute on their computers in the school? I briefly looked at Contribute that is on my Mac and I didn't see how they could update the pages etc. from their computers if I only have it.
With the costs etc. they would not be in a position to buy software so I'm trying to keep it as easy as I can for them. Contribute looks really easy but I wouldn't know how I could get them to be able to use it. Or have I completely missed something with what Contribute can do :confused:

Corrosive
04-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Hi Paul

The most flexible CMS I have found is ModX CMS http://modx.com/ The beauty of ModX is that, instead of learning a convoluted templating system or hacking an existing template, you can just port over your own HTML and CSS into the root of the site as you would with a normal layout. Then the content goes where you put the [[*content]] call.

Really do check it out. Our company uses ModX for some non-technical clients and they get on well with it. They also take security very seriously indeed.

Hope that helps.

pauldf
04-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks a million for your post. I'll take a look at ModX, it's cool to actually hear from someone who is using it and recommends it. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

domedia
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I taught about using Adobe Contribute but would they not need to have Contribute on their computers in the school? I briefly looked at Contribute that is on my Mac and I didn't see how they could update the pages etc. from their computers if I only have it.
You would not buy it, the client would, that's the whole point.

pauldf
04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Ha ha Domedia my other half would kill me if I ever called her a client :) Seriously though thanks for your post but they are fairly tight with their budget for the year so they wouldn't be able to spend the notes to buy Contribute. They would need it on at least 5 computers so they would be looking at spending a few hundred euro that they don't have.

d a v e
04-20-2011, 05:53 PM
if it's one site why on 5 computers? why not 1 or two and move people around? too many people editing the site makes for problems ;)

have one designated computer/laptop as a 'web computer' and there you go.

domedia
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Contribute is the cheapest way of doing this.. My guess is that you're out of luck then :-/

pauldf
04-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys for your posts.

Dave the website is for a school so aside form the usual pages on a website (Home, Contact etc.) each class will have their own page. So it would be to much hassle to move 20 - 30 kids (per class) to different rooms each time they wanted to update their class page. The way I have it set up now in Cushy CMS is that each class is assigned their own page and they have a password that only lets them edit their page, where I have given editable permission ( they can't change the layout or menu bars etc. ) so hopefully this will keep them from causing to many problems :)

Contribute looks really cool but for the time being it is out of their price range and school budget.

d a v e
04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Cushy solution :)