PDA

View Full Version : Suckerfish menu item, not showing as active when it is

Designer
04-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi Clubbers, This one is driving me a bit crazy - This is a sucherfish menu issue. I have browsed the related questions and answers but no cigar. My problems (2) are hopefully very simple (I am a graphic designer making a late foray into web development) 1. my main menu items do not appear as active (black) when they are, and 2. what ever I do, i cant seem to increase the line hight of my submenu. I have changed line hight to 135% in everything i could think could possibly be overriding the command. after 3 days wrestling with these 2 things - its time for some help. Please see below link - the only links that are working are: 'Home', 'Contact' and under Photography: 'Pike-heads'. Any assistance will be very gratefully received I apologise for my ignorance and thank you in advance for your help. Designer
http://www.ralphbeckforddesign.co.uk/lord-puffin.co.uk/ralphbeckforddesign.co.uk/index.html

Corrosive
04-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi Ralph

1. Not sure you understand what 'active' means when using the link psuedo classes. If you want a menu item to stay black when on the page then give it a class (maybe something like .current) and style that.

2. Try giving your inner ul an id and then adding top and bottom padding to each contained list item using CSS.

Designer
04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Your right about my not knowing what I'm talking about. I'm at that frustrating stage where half of everything is making sense and the other not. I have tried to apply .class to menu items but that threw the #nav from suckerfish out the window. I will have a go and report - thanks so much for taking the time to help me. D

Designer
04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi Corrosive - padding worked brilliant for line spaceing, Thanks for that fix. However, cant get the highlighting of current page to work. I created a .current class but I must have applied it incorrectly or in the wrong place. This is the one thing stopping me from rolling out the whole site now - any assistance would render me eternally grateful. R

Corrosive
04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Hiya, you have

<li><a href="#" class="current">Photography</a>

Whereas I'd say

<li class="current"><a href="#">Photography</a>

would be better and you also need some styles for .current in your stylesheet.

Designer
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Stop Press... now have .current class working but not text colour black. I ,on your advice, added some more styling, although I didn't actually want it (I added under line and that is now working correctly accross my 3 pages). Great that the .current is now working but I don't want the underlines, I want the text to remain black. Do I need to turn off the grey somewhere else for each page or something? This is now my only thing thats amiss - Any clues? R

Designer
04-12-2011, 11:12 AM
This post superseded by above