PDA

View Full Version : more efficent working

tony09uk
04-05-2011, 02:09 PM
i would like to reduce the amount of time i takes me to set up a page layout or complete some the basics. Can anyone suggest any tools i can use or have any little tips they have to reduce the time it takes to complete a site?

Corrosive
04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Not sure if they are still alive and well in latest DW but check out 'snippets'.

gentleone
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Not sure if they are still alive and well in latest DW but check out 'snippets'.
They're still alive in CS4 at least, but I can't imagine they've dropped it in CS5. This feature can indeed improve your speed, because I think everyone reuse code snippets in new projects and instead of loading every time that HTML document where you've used it and to copy it, just save that piece of code to 'snippets'.

Ricky55
04-05-2011, 11:17 PM
If you use a Mac there are some excellent tools for both storing snippets and expanding letter combinations into anything not just code.

For my snippets I use Codebox which is available on the Mac App Store, I've tried loads of these and Codebox is excellent.

I also use Text Expander which allows me to generate all my code in just a few key strokes.

For example ,html will give me a full doc structure for html. ,a gives me <a href="">test</a> it even puts the cursor in the right place to type the link.

If you're not using a mac dw snippets is similar but others will exist. The cool thing about Codebox is that it has a menu bar which you can search from and just paste the code straight into your doc.

Text Mate also has some very powerful snippet functionality but again its mac only.

Don't wanna start off this debate again but the Mac IMO is the only way to go for web development theres just so much great software that not only offers great functionality at cost effective prices but also looks cool.

I was round at my mates the other night and he was using Windows XP, Note Pad++ and a command prompt for FTP, like going back in time.

DWcourse
04-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Snippets are alive and well in CS5.

edbr
04-06-2011, 12:59 AM
indeed they are, to create a snippet highlight the block , right click and save as save as snippet or in cs5 create new snippet. to use you can double click or click and drag its really simple.
i would suggest making your own bare templates though for example a basic layout of index, a_page and contact . If fo r example you have a basic usual structure of wrapper, header, body , footer, if php you could use includes and change to suit. as well as a style sheet. it really is a question of what suits the user.
the apple stuff sounds good but Dw does have a lot under its bonnet .
not relevant but wanted to say anyway
as for php, it has improved but still lacks a bit and the snippets help a lot in that respect.
if you want to look around there are quite a few freebies to play with
htmlkit has a lot of addons, codelobster is good especially for php IMO

Corrosive
04-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Don't wanna start off this debate again but the Mac IMO is the only way to go for web development theres just so much great software that not only offers great functionality at cost effective prices but also looks cool.

I was round at my mates the other night and he was using Windows XP, Note Pad++ and a command prompt for FTP, like going back in time.

Yawn... Someone wake me up when he's finished.

Ricky55
04-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Sorry for boring you Corrosive but I did answer the question too. The snippets feature in Dreamweaver doesn't work in the same manner as Codebox so if Tony does have a mac then he'll do well to check out the software I mentioned.