PDA

View Full Version : Joomla

desiree
04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Hello

I am new to CMS. I am having a problem loading my templates and previewing them. I saved Joomla in htdocs and my templates index files are not appearing.

Can anyone explain why >>?
Thanks
Desiree

Corrosive
04-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Hiya

When you say 'I saved Joomla in htdocs' did you install it (i.e. set up the SQL database etc) or just put the files in the folder? Here is a guide; http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=11926

gentleone
04-05-2011, 10:54 AM
You'll have to upload Joomla templates in the 'templates' directory and then in the admin you will have to activate the template.

desiree
04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
just put the files in the folder which data bases ?:(

Corrosive
04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
The database holds all your content and then you build the framework around it to make a page with the template. You need to read that installation guide I linked to.

gentleone
04-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Yes, you will have to download first the Joomla installation files from the Joomla site and then upload everything to your server which must have PHP and MySQL on it. If you have done that, then you can configure the installation to set-up the databases.

So basically this is your first step:
Download & Install

desiree
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Yes I have downloaded and installed and linked it to my xampp mysql
shouldnt the data bases upload automatically. How does it work and what database tables do I need to import in the joomla directory???

Please can you explain which directory/folder needs to be imported into xampp.

Thanks
Desiree :o

gentleone
04-06-2011, 10:58 AM
No, you'll have to create your databases and then run the Joomla installation program in your browser.
http://webdesign.about.com/od/joomla/ss/install_joomla_4.htm
and a bit further in the configuration process you can set-up the connection to your databases.

desiree
04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I thought the templates worked automatically; like the 1.5 version. I never had to create databases whats new about the 1.6 version.

Aren't their default databases. why wont they work . the index files have no images ???

:confused:
Databases ????

Thanks

Desiree

gentleone
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Did you already configured Joomla? In other words...do you have already access to the Joomla admin?

desiree
04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I connected it to the Mysql database with my localhost password.

Why won't the templates appear. ?? when I open them in the admin account.

Thank you for your support with this problem
Desiree :neutral:

gentleone
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Did you upload the template in the right directory called 'templates'? If so then you must set your template as 'default' in the admin in order to show it.

desiree
04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes I will try the default templates. Then I would have to complete the installation process again. As I can't remember whether I used the default templates or not.
:(

I hope that this was the problem and not somethin else ?

Many Thanx
Desiree

gentleone
04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
No, what I meant to say is that if you uploaded your template to the templates directory then the name of the template should show up in the template manager of your admin. If it's there then you must activate it by selecting the template and in the right hand corner you must click on the button (a star) that says 'Standard'.

If you don't see your template in the template manager then there likely went something wrong. What kind of files came along with your template? Two are really important for showing the template in the template manager and these are the files templateDetails.xml and params.ini.

desiree
04-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I re-installed joomla. Installed the sample data ignored the migration data installation and reconnected my mysql with the correct password and username. And it seems to work now? as an error data feed message was appearing before. Thanx

Thank you
:grin:

gentleone
04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Great!!! Glad it all sorted out!

worrall
08-29-2012, 01:13 PM
I think you had not saved the templates in the correct manner or may be the pattern you followed may be the wrong process. Firstly you have to upload the templates in templates directory and then in the admin so that the templates will get activated.