PDA

View Full Version : Index/Landing Page

PaulOl
04-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm using Dreamweaver MX2004 and I'm having a few problems with the INDEX page.

Up until recently I had just one published website, and now I have developed another.

They have different URL's and servers, but I and/or Dreamweaver (me most likely) are getting in a right pickle over the Index.htm page that they both require as the 'Landing' page.

My workaround is that one website has Index.htm and the other has Index.html but that's clearly not a scalable solution as I hope to develop many more websites over time ...

I think I must be doing something pretty stupid ... can someone please confirm my stupidity and point me in the right directions

ps I don't want to reveal my URL's just yet as one, in particular, is pretty lame :wink: !

gentleone
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
You can manage as many sites as you want in Dreamweaver without interfering each other as long as you define your sites first with Dreamweaver's 'Manage Sites' option.

Here's a tutorial how to do that:
http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/pmm/user_guide/getting_started/before_define.htm

PaulOl
04-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for that ... one issue now springs immediately to mind

I am using the SAME local folder to store the pages for the TWO sites ...

C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\www\

Is this perhaps part or the whole of my problem?

gentleone
04-03-2011, 01:13 PM
yes, you'll have to make for every site its own folder.

PaulOl
04-03-2011, 01:39 PM
That makes sense ... I'll create two new folders in the first instance and copy across relevant pages into each folder and re-point Dreamweaver to those folders.

gentleone
04-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Lets take as example your www folder as main folder then you would have a folder tree like this for two websites:

www- website1
- css
styles.css
- images
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
imageetc.jpg
- js
scripts.js
index.htm
page1.htm
page2.htm
pageetc.htm
- website2
- css
styles.css
- images
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
imageetc.jpg
- js
scripts.js
index.htm
page1.htm
page2.htm
pageetc.htm
and then in Dreamweaver you define these two websites seperately.