PDA

View Full Version : Centering webpage in Dreamweaver

Katchit
03-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone - i am new to the forum.

I am designing my site in Photoshop and then want to put it in Dreamweaver.

How do i make sure that the imported files are then centered when they are uploaded? I did a 'live view with Firefox' and the web page was to the left of the screen, with a massive space to the right where it was blank.

I am designing the site from the start, so i can use any settings which are advised, from the start.

What do i need to do to get the right settings in Photoshop which will allow for the page to be centered within Dreamweaver? Additionally, what settings/code do i need to use in Dreamweaver to make the web page centered when it is viewed online?

Is 800 x 600 an optimal size to use?

Many thanks.

DWcourse
03-30-2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/centering-a-web-layout.php

http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/centering-page-layout.php

Exporting from Photoshop is a poor practice. Learn to use well constructed HTML and CSS for web design.

Most pages of viewing on a computer are now around 960px wide.

Height isn't important. Let the page grow to fit the content.

Ricky55
03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Sound advice.

Katchit
03-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the reply and the links, i will look at those.

Eliteoomph
03-31-2011, 07:41 AM
Here is another very simple easy to follow tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWiS6soZfs

It was something that helped me when I was starting out.

He did job of helping me understand the importance of parent divs and how to float a div left and right.

It is a great tutorial for beginners and if you follow it you can create a quick nice looking web page in about 15-30 mins and learn a few things in the process..

Also as DWCourse mentioned exporting straight from photoshop is no good...

I had the same idea when I started out and after some much needed guidance from this forum I soon realized this was a poor practice.

The problem with this is you are designing a page using all images and this means there is no selectable text with is very very bad for SEO (search engine optimization) and page load times just to name a couple.

Read up on the use of background images created with in a div.

Basically what you will end up figuring out is how to use background images within your site created with in a div and then you can insert text on top of your your background image and position the text with margins.

Katchit
03-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Here is another very simple easy to follow tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWiS6soZfs

It was something that helped me when I was starting out.

He did job of helping me understand the importance of parent divs and how to float a div left and right.

It is a great tutorial for beginners and if you follow it you can create a quick nice looking web page in about 15-30 mins and learn a few things in the process..

Also as DWCourse mentioned exporting straight from photoshop is no good...

I had the same idea when I started out and after some much needed guidance from this forum I soon realized this was a poor practice.

The problem with this is you are designing a page using all images and this means there is no selectable text with is very very bad for SEO (search engine optimization) and page load times just to name a couple.

Read up on the use of background images created with in a div.

Basically what you will end up figuring out is how to use background images within your site created with in a div and then you can insert text on top of your your background image and position the text with margins.

Thank you for the link.

The problem i had when designing the site last time i used Dreamweaver, was working with images. I couldn't seem to get the images the size and position i wanted them within the layout.

Eliteoomph
03-31-2011, 07:54 AM
watch that tutorial... it should help you a good bit ;o)

Katchit
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
watch that tutorial... it should help you a good bit ;o)

I will.

Thank you for the link.

The video is 30 minutes, so hopefully provides a lot of detail.

Corrosive
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
The problem i had when designing the site last time i used Dreamweaver, was working with images. I couldn't seem to get the images the size and position i wanted them within the layout.

That's where the 'art' of web design and layout kicks in. Stick with it but it takes a little while to learn to do it well.

Katchit
03-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Thank you.

When using Dreamweaver, is it better to start with one of their preset designs, or a blank page?

Thank you again.

Eliteoomph
03-31-2011, 08:19 AM
I like to start from scratch but its your preference...
It may be good to start with a preset design so that you may check out the code view and get a better idea of how it all works...

Eliteoomph
03-31-2011, 08:21 AM
I will.

Thank you for the link.

The video is 30 minutes, so hopefully provides a lot of detail.

ah a little longer then I thought.... but well worth it!

Eliteoomph
03-31-2011, 08:26 AM
*off topic @ corrosive*
I just got around to reading your PHP includes tut... very nice, this will save me a ton of time...

Corrosive
03-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Depends how deeply you wanna dive in. The built-in layouts are well coded and commented so are a great learning aid/guide. If you want to learn it all for the greatest level of control then start blank.

Katchit
03-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Appeciate the replies, thanks everyone, very helpful.