PDA

View Full Version : DW says one thing, Safari says another

Rich_H
03-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi folks,

I'm building a website for an historical novel. It's my first foray into DreamWeaver since it was a Macromedia product, and the CSS world has changed a bit. So consider me a quasi-newbie.

When I use DreamWeaver's Preview/Debug in Browser button to test my pages, I got a proper load in Safari for the first page. Then, when I navigate to another page, I lose line-height formatting in my sidebar div text, and I have some content div text that rises chillingly through a div I made to display an image. From that point on, all pages (which share CSS style sheets) display the bad formatting.

The catch? The same pages display properly in FireFox when previewed through DW. And the remote site displays correctly when viewed through Safari. (You can see it at http://www.queen-of-the-northern-mines.com/index.html).

I suppose this is better than having the code work in preview and break in the real world, but it creeps me out. The sidebar text did display correctly earlier on in the site construction, but my manic code house-cleaning efforts apparently broke something.

The players: Mac OSX 10.6.6., DW CS5 v11 build 4964, Safari 5.03, FireFox 4.0

DWcourse
03-29-2011, 12:43 AM
When you preview in browser you are only previewing one page. If necessary DW will adjust links (such as the one to your CSS style sheet) to preview the page properly. However, it can't make the same adjustment for pages you link to. If you want to preview them, you'll have to open them in DW and hit the Preview in Browser menu item for each one.

Rich_H
03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks, JC.

This HTML/CSS stuff is the Wild West, all right. Glad you and other forum members are around to point out its endearing little quirks.

Can't wait to start testing my stuff on IE 6... Really.

Corrosive
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Can't wait to start testing my stuff on IE 6... Really.

I'd think hard about whether you need to put yourself through that pain!

Rich_H
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
"I'd think hard about whether you need to put yourself through that pain!"

There are almost no limits to my cowardice in the face of badly-written MS code, but Dave McFarland (whose Missing Manual I am using as a guide back into DW) talks about 18% of the market still running IE 6 as of 2010. I'd like to think he was writing on April Fool's Day.

Corrosive
03-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Depends on your audience really.

DWcourse
03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
18% of the market still running IE 6

I'd say that's very out of date. Apparently 12% of the world is sill using IE6 but in Europe, the Americas and Australia it's under 5%.

http://ie6countdown.com/

Rich_H
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
"but in Europe, the Americas and Australia it's under 5%."

Ahhhh....

Now there's a number I can live with. Thanks, JC. Testing on IE 6 has just slid to the end of a very long queue.

A painful amount of McFarland's book is dedicated to baby-sitting that particular browser. Reminds me of the 50-50 rule of the early days of cross-platform multimedia: 50% of your time to design the job, the other 50% to get it to run on Windows.

d a v e
03-29-2011, 06:05 PM
as long as it's usable on ie6 i wouldn't worry too much about how pretty it looks ;)

Ricky55
03-29-2011, 09:53 PM
This is also an interesting article regarding IE6 support by Andy Clarke. He suggests a few options but then also includes a link to his universal IE6 CSS file that just strips out most of the layout and just leaves a very readable document for IE6 users using decent typography.

His argument being that at least users still get what they came to the site for which is, generally speaking, written copy.

There's no one size fits all solution like others have said it just depends on your user base and what you're wanting from the end result.

http://forabeautifulweb.com/blog/about/universal_internet_explorer_6_css/