PDA

View Full Version : Social networking sites?

tony09uk
03-23-2011, 11:24 PM
I have had an idea for a social networking site I want to create. I have something very specific in mind. I have had a look around and come across JOOMLA, SOCIALGO and SOCIALENGINE. Are any of these any good? Are there any out there that are better?

I am only trying this as a hobby, although i'm very confident that it could go well and bring in some money eventually, so with this in mind, I would like to use something that's free. Possibly with upgrade options for more professional tools as the idea develops.

Users will have a choice of their own pages that I will have designed. As well as the look of the site will be in my complete control.

I am sure what I have in mind is no easy task and will take quite some time, but i'm confident I can do it :D

Some direction will be greatly appreciated.

Corrosive
03-24-2011, 08:08 AM
I have never used any of them to any degree so can't comment. Have had a quick play with SocialGO hosted version. It was OK. Another one you could try is; http://www.boonex.com/.

edbr
03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
heres a few here. http://www.vivalogo.com/vl-resources/open-source-social-networking-software.htm

the challenge will not be the soft ware but the marketing i think

tony09uk
03-25-2011, 08:15 PM
i think my first challenge, will be getting excatly what i want, i cant imagine it being to easy. Im more confident of the marketing side as i did the for a few years for my job, so fingers crossed on that one

domedia
03-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Think about the fact that not a single social networking site has been successful without their own custom code and funding. Ever.

If you could just use Joomla, there wouldn't be a facebook.

tony09uk
03-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about that, yesterday. I have no delusion that I have the next Facebook in mind, but hopefully I have come up with a tool to help a few people.

domedia
03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
That's great. Keep in mind to really solve problems with a website, it usually has the be a custom solution.

tony09uk
03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
noted. though I have a long way to go