PDA

View Full Version : Can character coding encoding be set to number?

charles_i
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I thought this could be done in a previous version (I'm using CS4) - but maybe I'm thinking of HomeSite. Can I set the character encoding to show up as numbers instead of letters? ie — instead of —?

Thanks
Charles

domedia
03-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Charles, can you elaborate a little? Not sure it's entirely clear what you're asking.

johnMoss
03-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Dreamweaver from design view is set only for actual HTML code, meaning you write something in there & it produces the real mccoy. You can come along and manually type in whatever character you wish in the editor , but of course in doing so you immediately create bad code which almost certainly will cause problems. Absolutely stick with convention in this case, and better yet, pay even closer attention to using CSS. It gets reasonably easy to figure out very fast.

charles_i
03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Sorry if I'm not being clear enough - I see my example replaced the code I wanted you to see with the actual mdash. If you type & in code view you will see a list of special characters using letters - I need them to use numbers instead. So instead of "—" I need 151 (can't type entire code or it shows the mdash - but you know what I mean) - same if you go through the menus to Insert - HTML -Special Characters - Other (BTW is there a quick way to bring the table that's there up? Can you assign it to the Favorites bar?

domedia
03-25-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm still lost. There's are no issues writing a HTML special character in code view.

johnMoss, you got this?

charles_i
03-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Hmm. How about this? Check out the chart here: http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/ASCII-HTML-Characters/index.php (scroll down the page until you see the left column filled with alpha codes).

Dreamweaver's special characters give me the left column alpha "Friendly Code" I need the second column "Numerical Code"

domedia
03-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Why can't you use it?

charles_i
03-28-2011, 03:17 PM
OK I'll try one last time. This is what the default looks like for characters in Dreamweaver. I suspect that the answer is no - it can't be changed fromt the alpha version that you see here to the numbers version.

http://sawebdev.ca/characters.jpg

domedia
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
ok, so DW does not use numbers, but you can :)
Just go into code view and type in the character you want using numbers.

gentleone
03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I did have a search in the core (xml) files from DW, because I asume it has to pull those characters from somewhere. But unfortunately no luck yet. If I can find them then it would be not too difficult to change them to the numeric version.

gentleone
03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
but what Dom suggest would be much easier :)

domedia
03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
I think I found it:

Select Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Dreamweaver > Preferences (Macintosh).
Select Code Rewriting from the Category list on the left.

Encode Special Characters In URL Using % Operates the same way as the preceding option, but uses a different method of encoding special characters. This encoding method (using the percent sign) may be more compatible with older browsers, but doesn’t work as well with characters from some languages.

More here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/10.0_Using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7bdaa.html

gentleone
03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
That part is for special characters in URL's, Dom. For example 'space' is then '%20' in the URL.

I found the xml file where you can change the friendly values to numeric values, but I'm on a Mac so the location could be a bit different for PC.

Here is the location:
Applications --> Adobe Dreamweaver --> configuration --> CodeHints --> CodeHints.xml

If you open CodeHints.xml in Dreamweaver (code view) the codehints for the charactar encoding starts at line 4400
<MMString:loadString id="codehints_11" />But be save and make a back-up first of the file, so that you can't mess up the original.

charles_i
04-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Great thanks! I'll try it (I'm sure I can find the XML file) and let you know. I'm certain that there used to be a preference to choose which version you wanted but that might have been in HomeSite.

BTW obviously I can type them by hand - I'm dealing with french translation here (in Canada) so the idea is to be able to use the built in feature to select them quickly without having to look them up every time. I need to use the numbered versions in some cases because of the way other people have coded Content Management Tool fields so it's not my choice. I do have a Word Macro that "translates" everything but there are so many edits and changes after that stage I'm forever looking them up.

gentleone
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
You're welcome and good luck! ;) It's quite a list that you have to change. I searched also for a while if there's been made a Dreamweaver extension so that you can switch to numeric values, but no luck either.