PDA

View Full Version : migrating to new site troubles (CS3)

RainForest
03-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Hello,

We have moved our website to a new host. I thought moving the site would be a simple few clicks! But what I found was that when I use the identical settings as our old host (except for the FTP address, user name & password, of course), all my files upload to a SECOND root folder.

Let me explain. The remote file system has a folder called 'root' as its base folder. It's got a couple of files & folders in it by default. When I try to upload into that root folder, somewhere in the process a new folder called 'root' is created as a subdir of the main root folder. So for my files to display in the browser after uploading, I've got to manually move them all from the subdir called 'root' into the main root folder! Is that clear as mud?

In my DW remote settings, I have the destination directory set as blank, as it was with my old host.

I've contacted the new host and asked for their assistance, but I guess I should've chosen a host that specifically supports DW, because they've been no help at all. :-(

DWcourse
03-19-2011, 02:59 AM
OK, first you have the wrong host. Any hosting company should be able to offer that support. Consider changing now.

Wherever you end up: Log into the server and look at the remote site. If you are in the right folder, you're done. If not then you have to determine the path from the folder you're in to the website folder. That path goes into the Host Directory field of Remote Info in your site definition.

If things are as you describe, the only change that should have been necessary is to add /root/ in the Host Directory field.

RainForest
03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
DWcourse,

Thank you for your response. I have contacted the host again, and re-asked for their assistance in resolving the issue.

RainForest
03-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Update:

Yesterday I went round and round and round and round with the new host! :-( Even though they claim to have "award-winning support", with every communication I get a response from a different support person, so there's no continuity in resolving my problem. On top of that, I couldn't seem to get anybody to understand the problem itself - even when I sent screenshots! They kept giving me "canned", one-size-fits-all responses directed at people who are clueless. I may not be an expert, but I'm not clueless, either, and I don't need to be told the same thing over and over again (I usually get it the first time), or instructions telling me how to delete a folder! /-Sorry for the rant - this has made me feel quite frustrated!-/

So here's what I discovered today: If I upload the files using a 3rd party FTP program (in this case FileZilla), my files upload perfectly! So what's happening with DW, that's causing it to create a new subdir called 'root' on the server?

DWcourse
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
You've got your site definition (site setup in DW5) wrong.

RainForest
03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
The setup is virtually the same as it was with my old host (except login info) - the folder structure was copied over as is. How can I find where the glitch is?

RainForest
03-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I found it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.