PDA

View Full Version : template won't upadate pages

RainForest
03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to update an email link on a template, but the pages built off the template (and still attached) aren't updating. Is there a setting for this?

RainForest
03-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I figured out how to do this on a one-time basis:

With the template open, point to >Modify, >Library, >Update Pages.

But I'd still like to know how to have this happen automatically.

DWcourse
03-19-2011, 02:04 AM
When you create a page from a template (or apply a template to a page) there is a check box for "update page when template changes." Did you have that checked?

RainForest
03-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Initially, yes (and I once had a disaster when a template updated every page with EXACTLY the template contents, deleting all the original info on all the pages created from the template), but how do I check to ensure that box is still checked?

DWcourse
03-23-2011, 04:26 PM
You do realize that templates will update all the content in non-editable regions - only the content in editable regions can be updated on a page by page basis. right?

That box appears whenever you create a page from a template or apply a template to an existing page.

If you don't check the box (it's checked by default) the page you create is not linked to the template. So, you can look at the top of the code and if you see something like this:

<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/main.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

The box was checked. If not it wasn't.