PDA

View Full Version : Defining Blues

capedoryus
03-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Very new and am working my way through a self guided book on cs3. I was doing good until I decided to get some practice on defining sites. I have 5 books with me and have been through at least that many videos. I have tried putting a folder in My Documents, C Drive and Desk Top before creating a new site.(Not all at once of course) I have also opened folders from the root folder location box.
This is what happens all the time. I get the entire section (desktop, my documents) added to the folder. In other words I get all of my documents or all the desk top in the folder. If I make a new page and save it to the root folder it gets added to the existing items. In other words I am not getting an empty folder waiting for new pages but am getting a folder with whatever is in the area that I selected to add a folder or open a folder. I have tried this at least 20 times and get the same action. I also get a warning that the folder I am creating is within a web that I was working on earlier even though it looks like they are in different folders. One thing I did notice was that when I pick a folder as the root folder it shows up in the window only with the general designation and not the specific folder ie If I create a folder in my documents the window will read c/documents(?) and not reference the named folder that I have created, opened and selected. The same happens with the default image folder. I get the general description but not the specific folder.
As far as I can tell I am following the directions in the books and video but must be doing something drastically wrong. This seems simple as per the books and video. Using Windows 7, 64 bit
Thanks in advance

DWcourse
03-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Could this be the issue? http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/windows-bug-local-root-folder.php

capedoryus
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Thank You JC.
I am grateful for the information. I have used frontpage and photoshop and thought i had a basic knowledge of computers and file structures but this problem brought me to my knees in humility. I will try the work arounds so I can can get through the lessons in Sherry Bishops book. Your involvement in this matter and the board in general in a wonderful reflection of you as a person and on your course. If I do a course it will be yours. Thanks again

capedoryus
03-16-2011, 12:48 PM
From the info supplied, thanks, I am able to get a empty folder as a root folder. I did it a couple of ways suggested in the links. I still get a warning that the main directory has another folder containing a Dreamweaver root folder and that it will present synchronization problems. It seems to see any other root files in the directory ie desk top or documents. I am not sure of where to store the unfinished projects as anyplace I put them cant be used to create a new root folder without the synco warning. I am trying to stay one step ahead and dont want to put files in a folder that will conflict with another folder. At least I am getting empty folders to place files into. Window 7 64 bit/CS3. Thanks in advance.

DWcourse
03-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Generally you want to make sure that each site you define is a separate folder. If you still have a definition out there that uses the desktop for instance, you'll get this warning anytime you try to create a site in a folder on the desktop. You can get rid of it by deleting the mis-defined site.

capedoryus
03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I am putting each new site in a separate folder within either desktop or my documents. If any other site in in this directory I get the warning. Its as if the new site is now within the other sites folder. When I check the root folder it is in fact a stand alone folder in the directory. Thanks to the help you provided yesterday with the links.
If I may I would like to put this in the most simplistic terms for my understanding. If I delete the mis defined site will I not loose this site? If I am working on 2 sites how can I not get the warning? This has happened (warning) in my documents as well as on the desktop. Could this be part of the glitch with CS3 and windows7 64 bit? Thanks again for your help and time.

DWcourse
03-17-2011, 01:14 PM
The warning you sent the image of means that you're trying to put the new site inside the folder you set as the site root for "striped umbrella." So I assume striped umbrella is defined wrong and you should deleted it. If you delete the definition you will lose the definition but the folders and files will still be on your computer.

capedoryus
03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks JC again. I get the message but the screen(directory) says that each site has its own folder in the directory. The problem might be in the glitch in that the root folders created prior to your help became the parent folders for all files and folders in the directory. Although the window for each directory shows the new and prior root folder as being separate and under the main directory. There seems to be no connection between the two files in main directory. Its as if DW picks up the old root folder and tries to put the new root folder in the old one. When working on this Tuesday I was very careful to watch the placement of the root folder. That was how I noticed the folder moving up in the hierarchy of the directory structure. Thanks again and I will go back and review the links you were kind enough to send me on the Adobe CS3-4/Windows 7 mess. When flash drives get down to $4 I might be able to put each site on its own drive. You are the best.