PDA

View Full Version : O what a mess! Please Help!

garybenidorm
03-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Please, please, please could somebody help me? I've recently updated my new web site, (designed with DWCS3) I'm a complete newby to DW but have a fair grasp of what I'm doing - until now that is. Please take a look and tell me what I've done wrong. I know, I know I've made the usual beginners faux pas by setting it with tables, but am gearing up now to CSS design. But, pleeeeese tell me, somebody, what I've done wrong.....this is my site:
www.limosulike.co.uk

Up until I updated the "forthcoming events" section everything was neatly laid out, looking pretty gorgeous after 6 weeks slog, but now it's a mess.
Oh your help would be so much appreciated I can't begin to describe...

edbr
03-10-2011, 06:33 AM
its your use of absolute positioning. use divs fpor layout relatively positioned. you realise tables are wrong but start using divs now before you pick up more bad habis . welcome to the forum btw im sure we can help you get on track

Corrosive
03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Ed is right, absolute (or APdivs) are take their co-ordinates from the top left of the screen viewing area. So you resize the screen or have a different screen size/resolution and everything goes off whack. You need to learn about divs that are relatively positioned (or with no positioning), how they react to the other divs around them and then how that goes together to make a stable but flexible layout. The theory is called the CSS Box Model and there are loads of tutorials out there. Including one on this site.

It's a bit of a learning curve I'm afraid and involves a little code knowledge. Frankly I'd start again on that site cos you have coded a mess.