PDA

View Full Version : Using Frames

EndlessSyn
03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi all, i just designing my first ever website for a friend and I have come across a few glitches that I have no idea how to fix... :confused:

1st issue: When I preview the site in Firefox, Chrome or IE the frames keep resizing even when I have sent them not to??? :confused:

The code I have is as follows:

<frameset rows="141,511">
<frame src="banner.html" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" noresize="NORESIZE" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" id="banner" />

<frameset rows="*" cols="265,1076">
<frame src="toc.html" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" marginwidth="10" marginheight="10" id="toc" />

<frameset rows="73,434" cols="*">

<frame src="navagation.html" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" noresize="NORESIZE" marginwidth="80" marginheight="60" id="navigation" />

<frame src="main.html" frameborder="no" scrolling="auto" noresize="NORESIZE" marginwidth="10" id="main" />
</frameset>
</frameset>

</frameset>

Now having a lack of experiance as far as im concernd the code "NORESIZE" says it all???

2nd issue: When im looking at the site in Firefox and Chrome and I select a link it opens in the frame "main" wich it should but in IE it open in a new window??? :confused:

3rd and final: How on earth do I get rid of the ugly white lines that show the different frames???

Your help will be greatly appreciated! :-D

Im using dreamweaver 8 if that also helps?

edbr
03-09-2011, 12:40 AM
wht use frames at all? it is not a good way of building a site for cross browser or SEO purposes

DWcourse
03-09-2011, 12:55 AM
And there's a reason they are being dropped from HTML5 (the reason being that it's too late to drop them from HTML4)

edbr
03-09-2011, 04:07 AM
its really time dreamweaver took the hint too

EndlessSyn
03-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok? As I said this is the first website ive ever designed and it hasn't really answered any of my questions...

If frames are a bad idea then what else do you suggest? Please take into account im not (obviously) that web literate.

DWcourse
03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I'd suggest you use divs and CSS.

gentleone
03-09-2011, 07:04 PM
If frames are a bad idea then what else do you suggest? Please take into account im not (obviously) that web literate.

div tags for layout and CSS to position them wherever you want. Sounds easier then it is. ;)

You have to understand some basics like the CSS box modal and natural page flow
http://www.addedbytes.com/for-beginners/the-box-model-for-beginners/

You can also take one of the templates that comes with DW and start with that. What DW version do you have?

EndlessSyn
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the reply's, im using Dreamweaver 8, I purchased it a couple of years ago but never used it.

Now div tags sounds familiar, is that what dreamweaver calls layers?

gentleone
03-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the reply's, im using Dreamweaver 8, I purchased it a couple of years ago but never used it.
Well... forget about using the build-in templates from DW8. They're (I believe so) table based layouts which is an outdated method as well for building layouts.

Now div tags sounds familiar, is that what dreamweaver calls layers?
Well... DW calls them so (or APdiv) and you can draw rectangles with them on your page, but please don't use them to layout whole pages. just use in your menu insert > layout objects > div tag

That's is the one you need for layout.