PDA

View Full Version : pdf?

tony09uk
03-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I need to create some PDF's for my site. What free creator is there out there thats any good? I have found a couple that Ive tried and they have been ok apart from I haven't been able to add the hyperlinks into the PDF. Can anyone please advise?

davidj
03-04-2011, 02:56 PM
There is a library for creating your own

http://www.fpdf.org/ (http://php.net/manual/en/book.pdf.php)

DWcourse
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I think he might be looking for a way to make pdfs from existing documents that he can upload to his site.

On a Mac, you can create pdfs by printing a document and choosing save as pdf from the PDF menu in the print dialog.

edbr
03-07-2011, 02:11 AM
yes open office allows for saving as pdf

johnMoss
03-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Microsoft Word & Publisher both offer saving files as pdfs if you have them already..

tony09uk
03-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Sorry, I should have said. I need to create them from an existing document. I have tried many programmes including word (but not publisher) and those that do allow me to create a pdf remove all hyperlinks i place in the document. The links I use are to different areas within the document. One of my documents is 100 pages so to make piratical and professional , my only option is to provide links to specific area. Is it possible to use word to save as pdf's and still retain the hyperlinks? (by the way are links that link to different areas of the same document still called hyperlinks?)

edbr
03-07-2011, 07:31 AM
anchor links you mean if within the same doc. and i believe you canwhat format are you opening? if pdf try foxit editor,

tony09uk
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Just a quick update, I may have found something that will do the job, I will share my "find" once I have tested it :D

tony09uk
03-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I realise that your that its probably just me who's excited about this but for anyone who wants to know (or for those of you who help out us of lesser knowledge, please pass this on).

Openoffice is the programme to be using to make professional looking PDF's for free. It keeps anchor links and hyperlinks in tact and is very similar to using microsft office package, so there is only a small learning curve. Granted as a word processor "open office writer" leaves a bit to be desired, but its free and if your only after a pdf convertor, it's great.

Im going to now try and import several .doc files into this programme now and get converting :D So far I have only tried one document and it takes a bit of editing to get it to have the same layout, so either create the document in writer or be prepared to adjust your layout when you bring it accross OR let me know if you find a way that imports from .doc to writer without screwing up you layout.

Thanks for your help everyone

tony09uk
03-08-2011, 07:50 PM
last word from me on this....i know im going on!

To open a word document and keep your chosen layout do the following

File>open>and choose the word document you were working on (duh!)

Why did I try the obvious one last?!?!?!?!?!?