PDA

View Full Version : basic HTML question

tony09uk
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Question 1

I want to use a <h1> tag but then have normal text following it. I have tried <h1></h1><p></p> but the p tag is then taken to a new line, how do I stop this?

Question 2

I am looking to try and make my text look a bit nicer, its currently whatever the default is for Dreamweaver. I was going to leave like that until last night when I was told (somewhat unconstructively) it looks S***!

Question 3

Have I got this code right?

body {
background-image: url(images/site_gradient.jpg);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
}

Its located in an external style sheet, all the other style from this sheet are being implemented and from my internet searches i'm sure it's right, but something is wrong as its not being implemented.

tony09uk
03-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Question 4

What is the best way of pasting text from a word document into Dreamweaver? I have tries EDIT>PASTE SPECIAL, but it still leaves loads of unwanted code in there

gentleone
03-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Heading and paragraph tags are block-level elements which fill by default 100% width of the parent container they're in, so naturally the p tag will drop underneath the h1.

You can solve this by giving the h1 and p tag fixed widths and float them to the left or I guess you could also set them both to display inline in your CSS.

Style the text with CSS

The code is right, but if you don't see the image then the path to the image is not right. Is your stylesheet in a seperate folder such as 'css'? If so then your path should be like this:
background-image: url(../images/site_gradient.jpg);4.
You can do it in code view or split view to strip out the word styling... I would encourage this way, because if you do simple things like this in code view you'll get familiar with code.
Another method is to paste it first in a text document (.txt) and copy/paste from your text document into DW.

tony09uk
03-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Brilliant thank you :D My background path was wrong. I will have a go at setting the H1 and p tags like you said.

tony09uk
03-02-2011, 11:43 PM
What would you suggest for a font? or what skills should I practice to improve my typeography? (I assume that is use of text??)

DWcourse
03-03-2011, 02:32 AM
#4 also check out the Copy/Paste preferences in DW's preferences.

For body copy, a sans-serif font will be easier to read than the default font. Arial is the most widely used.

d a v e
03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
#4 also check out the Copy/Paste preferences in DW's preferences.

For body copy, a sans-serif font will be easier to read than the default font. Arial is the most widely used.
i would suggest Verdana ;)

tony09uk
03-03-2011, 11:17 AM
thanks guys after a bit of messing about I found that "paste special>text only" worked best. It still involves a bit of adjusting but it doesn't take long. I was trying "paste special>text with structure" It threw in all sorts of rubbish though.

Thanks for your help on that.