PDA

View Full Version : failed to retrieve directory listing

curly
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi i cannot access my ntlworld free website http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geoffreid/index.html
through Dreamweaver Cs4 so I downloaded FileZilla and tried that and got a message= failed to retrieve directory listing and also 500 FEAT NOT UNDERSTOOD? I contacted Virgin tech support and they can't see a problem from their side. I think there is a problem because I am using a router but I don't have an idea of how I can fix this? Any guidance would be helpful. Geoff

blake
02-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Were you using a router before this problem?

curly
02-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Yes I have been using the same router for a couple of years. A couple of months ago I had trouble connecting to the internet and it took about an hour with a tech support person to get back online. I had to connect a lap top to the virgin modem directly and the tech support did something their end to make the connection. I ran a CMD line before that to ping from my PC and was getting something like tls 5 losses after she did something it was IpV4 5 losses? I don't know whether this has anything to do with my current problem because I did not upload to this site very often. Yet I have another site on a different server from Virgin that I can upload to through Dreamweaver without a problem. Virgin used to be Ntl it seems like the people with the Ntl websites are experiencing the
most problems.
Resolving address of upload.ntlworld.com
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220-
Response: 220-################################################## ################
Response: 220- Welcome to upload.ntlworld.com
Response: 220-################################################## ################
Response: 220 upload.ntlworld.com FTP server ready
Command: USER geoffreid
Response: 331 Password required for geoffreid.
Command: PASS *******
Response: 230 User geoffreid logged in.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Response: 500 FEAT not understood.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I.
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (62,253,162,29,238,11)
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
Response: 226-Transfer complete.
Response: 226 Quotas off
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

DWcourse
02-27-2011, 02:31 PM
You are connecting, the problem appears to be the responsiveness of the server.

FEAT

This command causes the FTP server to list all new FTP features that the server supports beyond those described in RFC 959. A typical example
reply to the FEAT command might be a multi-line reply of the form:

C> FEAT
S> 211-Extensions supported
S> SIZE
S> MDTM
S> MLST size*;type*;perm*;create*;modify*;
S> LANG EN*
S> REST STREAM
S> TVFS
S> UTF8
S> 211 end

That shouldn't be the issue. The feat command isn't reitical and is usually just ignored if the server doesn't support it.

Your ftp is timing out while trying to get the list of files from the directory. You might try toggling the passive ftp setting. If it's not that then I'd say the problem is on Virgin's end since you can connect to other servers.

curly
02-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks but I have tried toggling the passive ftp setting and have spent hours talking to the techies at Virgin who say their is no problem at their end even though the forums seem to contradict this. Some have given up and gone to other servers which I might have to do.

blake
02-27-2011, 03:04 PM
DWcourse has given you the correct information. I've never heard of a router causing your problems.

If I was having those problems with a host then I would move to another hosting company.
We basically had your problem with one of our client's site and found out his hosting company was over selling their servers.
We moved him to another host and have had no problems in the last 2 years since we've moved his site.

http://www.webhostingreviews.com/index.htm

Good Luck

DWcourse
02-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech support often can't experience a problem because they are on the same network as the server.

Even if the problem was on your end, tech support should work with you to resolve it. If the can't (or more likely just won't) then try a new hosting company.