PDA

View Full Version : Validation and such? (long post)

roseanna
02-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, I am a complete newbie in building websites..

Was using a cms system for my website for a couple of years, but got tired of not having freedom to decide what I wanted on my site.

as so many thing before, I know that if I just give it a try I usually can learn how to do it - so decided to give the building of my websites a try.

I chose Dreamweaver as I had heard good reviews of it - but with no clue whatsoever on how to do anything in it. Tried some different tutorials and felt confident enough to give it a try...

My first website ever is www.byroseanna.dk that turned out ok - decided to make my other website myself too - I just love the freedom I have to design it my way. The last page is not completely done but it lies here www.roseanna.dk (also do anyone know a good free program to compress pictures - I know they are a bit to large to load quickly)

And then I discovered something called HTML Validation?? tried to run both pages through it and they turned up with a lot of warnings and errors! I then tried to run a lot of the sites I visit on regular basis and almost everyone of them turned up with errors and warnings too - so I thought that maybe it was ok in spite of the big amount of errors.

I want to ask you how important it is to validate a site? A lot of the errors I get is just gibberish for me - I really dont understand them and what I should do to remove the errors.

Only thing I know is that a big part of the errors has something to do with the Thickbox gallery add-on - I downloaded it form Adobe/DW website?? Shouldnt it be ok then?

Where can I learn how to remove the errors? - or maybe just learn which of them I can do something about, and which I can't.

Is validation really that important? I mean a lot of the sites I use every day has lots of errors too - never affected my use on them as far as I know of.

Corrosive
02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Is validation really that important? I mean a lot of the sites I use every day has lots of errors too - never affected my use on them as far as I know of.

Don't worry too much about validation. In my opinion validation is a tool for debugging a site (and display issues) rather than a goal. Some folks may disagree but your code looks pretty good.

If you want to shrink batches of images but don't have Photoshop then look at; http://toki-woki.net/p/Shrink-O-Matic/ running on Adobe Air (which you will also have to download). Hope that helps.

domedia
02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I want to ask you how important it is to validate a site? A lot of the errors I get is just gibberish for me - I really dont understand them and what I should do to remove the errors.
Validation helps you find any errors on your site. But you have to know HTML to understand them. You also have to know HTML in order to make websites. I don't think there is any way around that..

roseanna
02-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Domedia - yes I am aware of that ;) As I wrote almost every error has something to do with the script from my thickbox gallery? How should I correct those errors when the gallery is working fine - and I did not make the script myself so I am not sure about what will affect the script, if I start to modify it..

I know basic HTML - but I am not used to the Javascripts yet.

Corrosive
02-25-2011, 03:35 PM
How should I correct those errors when the gallery is working fine

This is what we are saying. You don't have to.

domedia
02-25-2011, 05:42 PM
This is where you have to know code. There's no point of validating anything if you don't know what it means.

If you're doing HTML validation, there is probably a difference between 'warnings' and 'errors'. Errors can be serious. Use your best judgement. 8)

I

edbr
02-25-2011, 11:50 PM
also do anyone know a good free program to compress pictures - I know they are a bit to large to load quickly

take a look at GIMP