PDA

View Full Version : Favicons - Make them work

johnMoss
02-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Most of the information I am finding on Favicons is quite dated.

Objective is to have the browser pull up the favicon when the site is visited.

I am finding information, albeit 6 years old, which discuss the limitations of favicons, for example only showing up when site has been bookmarked. I sorta have a hard time buying that at this point, so does anyone have the scoop? I placed the file "favicon.ico" in the root folder. Is there some code I can put in the header to instruct the browser to display it in the address bar?:confused:

Is it going to be for example one of those situations where some site-safe-certificate code needs to be in place?

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 03:24 AM
I know for example this site has one, but I have this site loaded into my toolbar. I've safari'd the html & css, I've loaded an appropriately sized favicon into a root folder, but no dice... Does it have to be on a genuine server to work?

DWcourse
02-21-2011, 05:17 AM
If it's in the root folder,it should get found. Sometimes the default favicon is cached and it takes a while to the the custom one after you upload it. If you post a link we can take a look for you.

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 05:41 AM
It's not live yet, I'm doing it local... But for reference; file is stored in main root just like the pages, properly sized & named favicon.ico, and header code is
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico">

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Sometimes the default favicon is cached

Refresh didn't effect....

edbr
02-21-2011, 06:28 AM
not very up on this but ive used <link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/general/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I rewrote for path, but announcing type didn't work either. Ya know it's just comical; as usual, for all other browsers it works just fine with the path I used above. But IE, no.....

DWcourse
02-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Refresh didn't effect....

It usually doesn't.

Corrosive
02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
It usually doesn't.

Agreed, favicons are usually buried deep in your browsing history. Try clearing the cache and history and then try.

Rob_Che
02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
They take ages from my experience...

I'd leave it a couple of days between changing code.

Rob_Che
02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
or at least close your browser and reopen.

johnMoss
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Bottom line is they don't pop up in IE automatically, got it... Speaking from little understanding of the consequences and refering to the big picture, I wonder what shall come from the transition from trident to linux in IE 10.

Rob_Che
02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Bottom line is they don't pop up in IE automatically, got it...

Got it!...

They pop up fine for me... only trying to help.