PDA

View Full Version : Problem with IE, what is wrong with my page?

roseanna
02-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi all

I am very new to dreamweaver - this is my second website.

My website url is www.roseanna.dk and if you view it in chrome or firefox, there is no problems.. however in IE (i use IE9) there is a small white gap in the bottom.

I have tried everything I could possibly think of, but nothing removes the small gap.

Could anyone help me try to figure out what is causing this? I have already set body to margin0 and padding0 in my CSS - that removed the white space in chrome, but not IE.
:confused:

I hope someone has a suggestion for a newbie.

roseanna
02-20-2011, 08:08 PM

I also discovered another problem in IE - when compatibility view(menubar( disappears? I have tried to get it to show, but I can't figure it out..

johnMoss
02-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Your CSS is not reachable off of the site, comes back 404. Can you post your CSS here so we can see it?

roseanna
02-20-2011, 08:50 PM
My CSS

body {
margin:0;
padding:0;
margin-bottom:0;
}

#header {
text-align: center;
width: 100%;
background-image: url(images/header.png);
}

#content {
background-image: url(images/content.png);
z-index: 3;
margin: 0px;
padding:0;
}
.conttext {
position: absolute;
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
z-index: 4;
}

#footer {
background-image: url(images/footer1.png);
bottom: 0px;
vertical-align: bottom;
}

#footerbar {
z-index: 5;
background-image: url(images/footer.png);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: center;
clear:both;
position: fixed;
}

.menuknap {
vertical-align: middle;
}

.conttext {
}

It might look a bit messy - have tried all sorts of things the past few hours without any result.

johnMoss
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
You have your background image assigned to your content div. IE is allowing for a smidgeon of space between your content div and the body. Reassign the background image to the body, and if you run into
another space problem I'd increase the height of the image first. Right now you have it at 610 px.
Also, it doesn't matter but you've doubled up on your conttext css. I'd get rid of the empty conttext at the bottom of your css.

roseanna
02-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Thank you! I will try that, I'm just not sure what you mean with the background image? The background image is assigned to all the divs - the header piece is assigned to the header, the content piece is assigned to the content, and footer piece to the footer.

Should I collect all 3 pieces of the background and assign them to the body? like one big piece?

Or only the piece from the content?

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Should I collect all 3 pieces of the background and assign them to the body? like one big piece?

You can only assign one image to a block.
Based on your design, I don't quite understand why you've opted to split the image up as you have, unless of course it came that way. I would merge the 3 images into one with photoshop for example, and then assign the image to the body as a background.

roseanna
02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
yeah I don't know why I did that splitup of the background either.. just doing it more difficult for myself..
I inserted the background image as one image to the body and it worked like a charm ;)

Thank you for your help.

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 12:21 PM
You're welcome, glad I could help...

promisaq
03-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I have the exact same problem and it is driving me nuts..... newbe also :confused:
my site looks fine in Chrome, FF, but in IE the menubar disappears. If you hover over it, the menutitles will show, but obviously, this is not what I want.

my (not yet officially published) sie is: www.thinkspirator.nl

anybody know a solution?
thanks so much for a response.

I also discovered another problem in IE - when compatibility view(menubar( disappears? I have tried to get it to show, but I can't figure it out..

johnMoss
03-25-2011, 05:58 PM
What version of IE are you using? It works fine for me...

promisaq
03-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I check in IE 7.0.6002 and I use Vista

I know the problem doesn't show in all IE versions and was ready to ditch the problem, but when I found out today that a good friend of mine, who works in a large corporation - they often lag behind in updates here... -, had the problem, I decided I need to have a look at it. it just makes it more complicated if it doesn't show up in all versions... :((( Any ideas?

promisaq
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
I check in IE 7.0.6002 and I use Vista

I know the problem doesn't show in all IE versions and was ready to ditch the problem, but when I found out today that a good friend of mine, who works in a large corporation - they often lag behind in updates here... -, had the problem, I decided I need to have a look at it. it just makes it more complicated if it doesn't show up in all versions... :((( Any ideas?

my problem has been solved - thanx to all those who tried/wanted to help! I'm very thankful for these types of forums to be around!

gentleone
03-28-2011, 12:42 PM
my problem has been solved - thanx to all those who tried/wanted to help! I'm very thankful for these types of forums to be around!

Can you post the solution, promisaq? Someone might run into the same problem.

promisaq
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
of course, sorry!
I did need to define the background of the menu (div.meny in style.css) specifically as black fr IE 7 or lower to actually display it as black. apparently, for all other browsers, this was a default.

Can you post the solution, promisaq? Someone might run into the same problem.

gentleone
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
of course, sorry!
I did need to define the background of the menu (div.meny in style.css) specifically as black fr IE 7 or lower to actually display it as black. apparently, for all other browsers, this was a default.
Thanks! ;)