PDA

View Full Version : uneditable regions

jpest
02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I created a site using a master template from which all of the pages were created. Later I noticed that the rectangle surrounding the word "Welcome" in the menu at the top of the page (which is index.html) was orange on every page, not just the home page when it was the active page. In checking the code, I realized that the following code was in an uneditable region on every page (since they were all created from the same template):

<div id="menu">
<ul>
<li class="current_page_item"><a href="../index.html">Welcome</a></li>
<li><a href="../2011_film_society_membership_brochure.pdf">Join</a></li>
<li><a href="../sponsors.html">Sponsors</a></li>
<li><a href="../about.html">About</a></li>
<li class="last"><a href="../contact.html">Contact</a></li>
</ul>
</div>

So the problem is that the code to make the area around "Welcome" orange exists on every page and needs to be edited with the "current_page_item" tag moved on the other top menu pages and eliminated from all the other pages.

I have been unable to find out how to make this uneditable region editable so I can change the code.

Here's the CSS code governing current_page_item:
#menu .current_page_item a {
background: #AA330F url(images/img04.gif) repeat-x;
color: #000000;
}

The site is at: www.ozarkfoothillsfilmfest.org/2011_beta (http://www.ozarkfoothillsfilmfest.org/2011_beta).

I'm (obviously) new to Dreamweaver and appreciate any input.

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Quickest & easiest way is to copy & paste the code into notepad. Notepad is a Libertarian and doesn't respect those uneditable tags....8-)
Correct the code & then put it back in the Dreameaver editor.

jpest
02-19-2011, 08:37 PM
On the pages built from the template, Dreamweaver won't allow me to replace any of the content that's in an uneditable region. I can copy the code and paste it to Notepad but then when I try to delete the old code so I can replace it with the edited code, I can't remove the old code (which is grayed out because it's in an uneditable region) from the page.

I was hoping there would be a way of handling it in the code in the .dwt file. Like maybe a conditional of some kind that would dictate that the class "current_page_item" be applied IF the active page and the a href page name in the menu are the same.

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 08:41 PM
My bad... Close the file completely from dreamweaver & reopen it in notepad. Redo in notepad & then overwrite (save) the file. Once you reopen in Dreamweaver it'll show your corrections.

jpest
02-19-2011, 08:50 PM
OK, I'm going to give it a try. Will the Mac program TextEdit work as well as Notepad?

DWcourse
02-19-2011, 08:50 PM
The method described here: Highlighting the current page in a Spry menubar on a template-based page (http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/highlighting-current-page-template.php) will work for other types of menus in a template-based page.

It's a bit tricky and requires you to use the Editable Attribute function in the body tag of your Template to allow you to create a unique ID for each page.

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I would assume so, but I don't have a Mac, so I assume they're the same thing. DW just gave a better answer though, I'd check it out...

DWcourse
02-19-2011, 09:11 PM
The thing about editing a template-based program outside of Dreamweaver is that edits to non-editable (or locked) regions will revert the next time you update the template and allow the linked files to update.

If that's not a problem for you, then you can always just select menu: Modify>Templates>Detach from Template and edit it in Dreamweaver.

BTW, you can edit DW's html files (or any html file for that matter) with any text editor including TextEdit but, if you're looking for a good code editor for the Mac, check out BBedit.